Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts down randomly

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 unoplank

unoplank

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:18 AM

Hello,

I am trying to fix my step-father's computer. We are not sure what is going on with it, but he recently started getting shutdown messages when he began using his computer.

The first error message that comes up shortly after boot up is something along the lines of :

"Generic host process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed to close" it then asks to send an error report. If you send one it goes through the sending report indication message and if you click ok the error will pop up again. If you choose not to send the report the message just keeps returning.

At random intervals (usually within 15 minutes of booting up the computer) he gets a shutdown message which says something like:

"Windows must now restart because the DCOM Server Process Launcher service terminated unexpectedly. NT Authority\System" And gives a 60 second countdown.

I have tried recovery console from the windows xp cd but the errors still pop up.

Another thing to note is the computer cannot enter safemode. It freezes at one of the drivers and then just reboots itself.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unoplank

unoplank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:33 PM

UPDATE:

Repaired XP with disc. No longer shuts down randomly. BUT! I did a system scan with Avast and it found these:

A0033453.exe is infected by Win32:Alureon-EC [Rtk]

A0040479.exe is infected by Win32:Falder [Trj]

Would not allow me to repair or move the infected files so I deleted them.

How can I find out if these infections have been completely removed? Also, I want to make sure there are no more sneaking around before I return it to my father.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users