Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my fast computer is super slow

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 peel

peel

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:12 PM

OK so I have 18GB of free space left on my C drive. I scanned my computer with superantispyware, malwarebytes, AVG Free Edition, and this online scanner http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/ All came up clean except for 1-2 Ad-ware. I defragmented with Defraggler. I used CCleaner. I used Disk Clean. I deleted all movies/programs I dont need.
It is still superslow. It wasn't as slow, but still slow, before I downloaded AVG Free Edition.
Also, the CPU Usage flares up to 100% fairly often and then sometimes jumps down to 0-30%. The CPU Usage History graph shows flares all the way to the top for some time sometimes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,068 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:16 PM

Also, the CPU Usage flares up to 100% fairly often and then sometimes jumps down to 0-30%. The CPU Usage History graph shows flares all the way to the top for some time sometimes.

What process or processes do the 'flaring'?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 peel

peel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:59 AM

here are some pics. this is with just firefox open. it really jumps up when i start running this game I play. what can I do?
also, I got and Ran RegistryBooster, that seemed to have helped a decent amount but it is still fairly slow

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by peel, 10 February 2010 - 11:01 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:04 PM

FWIW: I believe it's fairly normal for that particular screen to "flare" when any process/program is initially begun...at least it is on my systems. Looking at such screens won't reveal anything, since the duration is so short and the screen reflects no correlation of what began at that time.

As for your memory usage screen...firefox looks way out of line but everything else looks perfectly normal by my standards. You may want to uinstall/reinstall/update firefox.

I don't know how firefox works...but IE opens a new process for each window that it opened. So it is not unusual for an IE-user to have multiple windows open, with each reflecting a different webpage. The max I can get for any single window using IE...is about 35MB of RAM.

I don't know if firefox reflects a summary total or individual instances for each window open...but 90MB of RAM for one window certaily seems out of line.

Louis

#5 peel

peel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:33 PM

ok ill try that. any other suggestions? also i updated superantispyware and am scanning my comp again right now. also, just so u know, i have spywareblaster on. i will give u guys a pic of my CPU Usage when the game is on. It's usually a huge line at the top for long durations of time sometimes.

#6 Sashacat

Sashacat

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:15 PM

Hello :thumbsup:

Sounds like you're a packrat :flowers: and I suspect you already knew this could cause computer slow down, since you stated, "deleted all movies/programs I dont need".

Go to My Computer.
Right click on C drive.
Hit Properties.
You will see a pie chart showing how much of your hard drive is used, and how much is available, as well as the total capacity of your hard drive.
Is your hard drive more than half full (used) ? Please reply back on this.

Just curious, did you "uninstall" programs using Control Panel, Add/Remove or did you actually "delete" programs?
For future reference, there is a free program called Revo Uninstaller that not only uninstalls programs, but will search and find leftover files and registry entries left behind.
You can get the free version of Revo Uninstaller here:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninst...e_download.html

Another way to clear some space on your hard drive is to turn off System Restore, and check your settings on how much space (percentage of your hard drive) you allow System Restore to use. When you turn off System Restore, it deletes all restore points. If yours is set on "max", you could reduce it to a lower percentage. That will limit the number of restore points available. After you turn off System Restore, go to to My Computer, Right click on C drive, hit Properties. See how much more space is "available" on your hard drive. If you want to turn System Restore back on, go to Control Panel, System, System Restore tab, click to take the checkmark out of "Turn Off System Restore" and hit Apply. Then hit OK to close.

Use CCleaner regularly, and you will see that each day, the free version of AVG collects approx 50mb that can be deleted.

Other factors in your computer running slow are unnecessary processes running, using up system resources.
I notice in your screen capture it shows "wkufind.exe" running in Task Mngr.
This file is not necessary and can be turned off. (It goes to Microsoft Picture It.)

Click Start, Run, type in msconfig and hit Enter.
Click the Startup tab, and check to see what items have a checkmark next to them.
A checkmark means that item will run on boot.
The more stuff you have running, the slower you will go.
You can remove checkmarks from Startup items, then hit Apply.
You will get a message that changes will take effect after next restart, and it will give you the option to restart the computer right then, or at a later time.
Upon the next restart, you will get a message that you have used System Configuration Utility......you can close it (ignore it).
Removing any unnecessary items from Startup should help somewhat with the problem of your computer running slow.

I also notice that you have a "rundll32.exe" running in Task Mngr.
It's worth looking into further because while Task Mngr shows the "processes" that are running, it does NOT show the command lines.
Process Explorer is a free program that WILL show the command lines.
You can download Process Explorer from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx
When you run Process Explorer, click View, Select Columns, and put a checkmark next to "Command Line".
Then you will be able to see the command line for rundll32.exe.
Please reply back with the command line for the rundll32.exe.

I also see Apple Mobile Device running in Task Mngr.
Do you have an IPod/iTunes ? My son does, and I am very particular about extra/unnecessary things running on my computer. I explained to my son that when he needed to use it, he could run it, but I wasn't going to have it running on boot, slowing my computer down.

Another thing that could be using up alot of space on your hard drive is old Windows Update files.
Go to your Windows Explorer.
Go to Tools, Folder Options, View tab. Make sure yours is set to "show hidden files and folders".
Then open your C:\Windows folder.
You will probably be surprised at how many folders there are, named
$NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$ (x's are numbers) and how much space they take up on your hard drive.
(You can Right click any folder, hit Properties, and it will show you the size of that folder.)
If your Windows Explorer does not show a column heading called Date Created, you can Right click on a category title (like Date Modified), which yields a pop up menu, where you can click to add a check mark next to Date Created, so you will know what date each folder was created.
If you delete any of the folders named $NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$, you will not be able to uninstall those particular Windows Updates. If you are certain that you will not want to uninstall those Windows Updates, you can choose to delete the $NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$ folders that are several years old. You can choose to keep only the last six months of them, or the last year of them.
Please note, this only applies to folders named $NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$.

After you turn off System Restore, run CCleaner, and get back some space on your hard drive, run a defrag.

Do you also tend to download alot of music and store it on your hard drive? You may want to check the folder size of any Apple folders, iTunes folders, etc. My son had several gigs on my computer of all his stuff.....music, apps, etc.

Anything that you want to keep can be burned to a cd. I would say (personal observation) that if your computer has slowed down to the point that it is an issue with you, to get it back to running as fast as you want it to run, you will need to be very strict with yourself (or any others who use your computer) about what gets downloaded/installed/saved on your computer, as well as very strict with only what is absolutely necessary is set to run on boot.

Please report back with whether your computer is running faster after removing items from Startup and turning off System Restore.

Hope this helps :trumpet:
If we don't change the direction we are going,
We are likely to end up where we are headed.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:18 PM

How large is the C: partition?

How much RAM installed?

The number one "killer" of systems, IMO, is running of programs which are useless and the installation of toolbars that tie up system resources.

That's where I would look...in addition to free space available on C: and RAM installed...if I were concerned about lack of system responsiveness.

Louis

#8 Zariell

Zariell

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:41 PM

How much RAM installed?

He has 512MB - you can tell from the screenshot he posted of Task Manager.

Firefox and Internet Explorer both consume large amounts of memory if your running applets on webpages such as Flash or Java. For example I have 2 Firefox windows open, one at bleeping computer and another at pandora Web Radio - Firefox is using over 200MB of memory. This is normal.

#9 peel

peel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:55 PM

heres when i run my game. im not a packrate. i only had a few movie clips on there. and shouldnt u be able to tell the percentage already from my picture under physical memory. i uninstall some with ccleaner
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by peel, 10 February 2010 - 05:56 PM.

#10 peel

peel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:53 AM

ok i downloaded the uninstaller but not the process explorer since adding more programs would be counterproductive, wouldnt it? please explain the use of getting the the command line for the rundll32.exe.

also for this

I notice in your screen capture it shows "wkufind.exe" running in Task Mngr.
This file is not necessary and can be turned off. (It goes to Microsoft Picture It.)

and this

running of programs which are useless

how do u disable it? do u disable at start up?

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:21 PM

Autoruns
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:45 PM

Microsoft recommends at least 1.5 times the installed ram for virtual memory looks like your page file is too small, maximum used virtual memory should not exceed 50%-75% as per this Microsoft support article, How to set performance options in Windows Xp

#13 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:13 AM

To eliminate questions and guessing, please provide additional information about your system. There will be fewer questions.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste
the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

You have AVG stuff running all over the place! Can you disable AVG temporarily and then see how things look? I am going to have to install it again just so I can remember why I don't like it!

Why is SuperAntiSpyware running? If it is the free version, it should run and go away when it is finished. It SAS running all the time?

Since you are good at screen shots, click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msconfig

Take a shot of the Startup tab and the Services tab with Hide all Microsoft Services box checked. Don't make any changes yet - msconfig is not a startup manager. You have other things running you probably "don't need"... I have zero items in mine :thumbsup: - that tells you how much I hate them.

Then download Autoruns:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Next time you run Task Manager, please add the Virtual Memory column:

While you are in the TM, Processes tab, check out the Virtual Memory usage by enabling that display column:

Click View, Select Columns, check the box that says: Virtual Memory Size. Expand the width of
the Task Manager box so you can see all the columns.

Task Manager is okay, but you will get more understanding from Process Explorer. Process Explorer is Task Manager on steroids.

You'll like it when you get the hang of it:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

When PE is running, it has a graph too and when you see a spike, you can hover the mouse over it and it will give you some info about what generated the spike. Not possible with TM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#14 peel

peel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:07 AM

msinfo

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model DIM4500
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~1794 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. A02, 5/22/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 23.30 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 864.38 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

msconfig
i took off some startup stuff with ccleaner yesterday using a processlibrary to look up some processes
here u go:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

virtual memory
Posted Image

do I really need to download Autoruns? for what purpose? you guys are recommending me so much stuff and making me do so much things Im overloaded and I still dont see much improvement yet...

I have SAS and AVG still on startup because I dont have a paid service and Id rather have something there running protecting me rather than nothing. But if SAS or AVG is really that bad and that laggy, then I guess I could take off one or maybe both of them (but that would make me completely exposed except for Malware Bytes and Spyware blaster, two more free services). And should I uninstall them or disable them at start up? FRom my understanding, If I disable them at start up they will stop running as processes?

Please, Im just a 17 year old kid. Im being freaking overloaded by doing all this stuff. Ive done it now. I still dont see any improvement.

#15 Sashacat

Sashacat

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:23 AM

heres when i run my game. im not a packrate. i only had a few movie clips on there. and shouldnt u be able to tell the percentage already from my picture under physical memory.

The screen captures you provided show MEMORY usage.
The screen captures do NOT show what size hard drive you have (total capacity), how much of your hard drive is used (how much you have stored on the hard drive), and how much is available.
Another user also asked how large your C: partition is as well.

If you would care to provide the information requested, it may be helpful in determining whether this is a factor in the slowdown you are experiencing, or in ruling it out:

Go to My Computer.
Right click on C drive.
Hit Properties.
You will see a pie chart showing how much of your hard drive is used, and how much is available, as well as the total capacity of your hard drive.
Is your hard drive more than half full (used) ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

please explain the use of getting the the command line for the rundll32.exe.

The screen capture you provided for Task Mngr shows us only that a rundll32.exe is running.
In order to ACCURATELY determine whether this is a legitimate instance, or whether it is running as the result of malware or a trojan, etc, the command line MUST be known.
Task Mngr. does NOT show the command line.
Process Explorer is not a "large" program, in that the 2 files for this program are only 3,468kb and 71kb respectively, for a total of 3.45mb (which is NOT a signficant amount) of burden on a hard drive, and would prove MORE than helpful in the goal of providing you with the help you requested.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with the advice provided by user "joseibarra" :
Don't make any changes yet - msconfig is not a startup manager. You have other things running you probably "don't need"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a personal observation, my opinion only....
It would be MUCH easier/faster to help you
(not just for me, but also for other users, who so generously devote their time and effort in an attempt to provide ACCURATE answers for other users who experience problems)
if you provided the information requested WITHOUT resistance or argument.
If we don't change the direction we are going,
We are likely to end up where we are headed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users