Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Antivirus Virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AntivirusVirus

AntivirusVirus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:09 PM

I've recently somehow been infected by a virus that has blocked any and all Antivirus Software from clearing it. I keep getting popups with fake security warnings asking if I'd like to activate my antivirus software. I'm also getting Antivirus Alerts popping up in the right hand corner and am getting dozens of alert icons on the lower right hand icon bar. I'm using windows XP and have heard of any XP specific virus like this before. Currently I've tried running the AVG free edition antivirus software as well as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware that I found on this site. ComboFix will not run either.

Is there anything I can run or do to unblock this and be able to run the Malwarebytes software?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 09 February 2010 - 08:37 PM.
Move from XP to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AntivirusVirus

AntivirusVirus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:16 PM

I am having the exact same problem. Getting "Antivirus Software Alerts" and fake windows security center windows. I've tried downloading or running every antivirus program I can think of and it seems to block all of them. Is there a way to go into the computer and unblock this?

Moved this post to this topic from this one: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/292653/virus-posing-as-windows-antivirus-infected-my-machine-got-through-eset-security/ ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 09 February 2010 - 10:03 PM.

#3 AntivirusVirus

AntivirusVirus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:32 PM

Hello. By following a previous poster's thread and the help that was given to them, I successfully solved my virus problem. To get the virus to stop blocking my loading of Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware...I was told to try the "rkill" software and was sucessfully able to load Anti-malware after. Once I ran the Anti-malware scan, it found the virus, cleared it from my system and completely eradicated the problem. I then re-downloaded my AVG free edition and will continue to use it to scan for problems in the future. Thank you so much for your help! You can close this thread if you'd like.

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:44 AM

Glad to hear you were able to get your problems solved.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users