Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reborn Newbie

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 paw_17

paw_17

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

Hello all,
It is time to build a new computer, finally squeezed the life out of my P4 3.0, the new games are getting to greedy for my Radeon HD2600 and it's slow AGP slot.
I say reborn newbie as I had kept up with everything new up until about 5 years ago when I finished my current build.
I am looking for suggestions for a new cpu/mobo/ram/video, I already have the case (ultra tower), psu (ocz 700W), optical drives and hdd (1 TB across 2 sata drives and an additional 600Gb across ide).
I am not a gamer but the games I do play tend to be car racing and fps and I want them to look great.
Right now I have intel but have been a fan of AMD in the past, and I am a loyal ati guy.
I am looking for suggestions in the $500-$700 range, please remember I am in Canada.
I have no idea when it comes to current slot types, processor names etc, I don't think I intend to go down a built video card route, but other than that I am pretty open to suggestion.
I know this question is a little vague but I trust I have given you enough to work with.
Thanks in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:00 PM

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P $105
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 $165
Video: XFX Radeon HD 5770 $180.50
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) $111.50

I have that exact video card and it can handle every game I have on max quality at 1920*1080 with at least 2x antialiasing.

Edited by RainbowSix, 09 February 2010 - 08:05 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

That's a good setup, but a AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz would be better in that Black Edition processors are more easily overclocked. Remember, you also need an operating system like Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. RainbowSix has a very solid mid range setup that will meet your needs very nicely. The motherboard is by a good company and allows for AMD's AM3 CPU's. The 790X chipset it uses is their mid-range offering, more powerful than a 770 but less featured, and less expensive, than a 790FX. The Phenom II 955 is very fast and since it is Black Edition, is very easily overclocked since the multiplier is unlocked. The Radeon 5770 is also a mid range card that is roughly on par with the Radeon 4870 in most games, but takes less power, produces less heat, and allows for DirectX 11. All current generation graphics cards use the PCI Express X16 slot, which is faster than the old AGP.

3939.png

#4 paw_17

paw_17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:54 PM

Thanks Guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users