Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ZoneAlarm problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wrg

wrg

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

I am running XPPro SP3 with all current updates. I had to format my drive and re-install Windows and all my programs. I have been using ZoneAlarm for several years with no previous problems until now. After re-installation, upon startup, Windows Explorer runs very slowly. Example, if I click on MyComputer, it make take up to 30 seconds for it to open. Then if I select a drive to explore, another 15 to 30 seconds. To trouble shoot the problem, I decided to start with my taskbar and stopped the first item on the left, which happened to be ZoneAlarm. Explorer then operated normally. I restarted ZoneAlarm and Explorer continued to operate normally. Now, every time I shut the computer down and start it back, if I close ZoneAlarm immediately after it loads and restart it, Explorer operates normally. If I don't, it doesn't. Nor does any other program I start manually, unless I stop and re-start ZoneAlarm. I contacted ZA support and they were useless and actually caused me more problems by having me modify msconfig. They had me stop all services and I had to enter Safe mode to get Installer service re-started.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:18 PM

Zonealarm has been known to have many many issues. I would recommend switching to another firewall such as
Comodo or Online Armor

please note that the Comodo firewall installation also includes an Anti-virus program, if you decide to choose another anti-virus (not Comodo), then please be sure to only install the firewall, you will be prompted during installation if you want to install just the firewall, or the firewall and the anti-virus.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:25 AM

Apparently, since you were able to use ZA's customer service, you are using one of the paid antivirus programs which include the firewall. If you are using a different version than the one you previously used, I would return to the one that worked. If you are using the same version, then I would uninstall it, using the ZA removal tool, then reinstall it and see if that helps. It could be that your installation is just corrupted since you had previously used ZoneAlarm on that computer without any problems.

Which product are you using, their Antivirus program, Internet Security or Extreme Security?

Also, what is the version number of the product you are using?

Edited by Stang777, 10 February 2010 - 01:51 AM.

#4 wrg

wrg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

Apparently, since you were able to use ZA's customer service, you are using one of the paid antivirus programs which include the firewall. If you are using a different version than the one you previously used, I would return to the one that worked. If you are using the same version, then I would uninstall it, using the ZA removal tool, then reinstall it and see if that helps. It could be that your installation is just corrupted since you had previously used ZoneAlarm on that computer without any problems.

Which product are you using, their Antivirus program, Internet Security or Extreme Security?

Also, what is the version number of the product you are using?

Thanks for the reply.
Actually, I don't use ZA's anti virus, I use Avira. I have ZA 9.1.008.000. I am seriously considering ditching it as soon as it expires.

#5 wrg

wrg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:59 PM

Thanks, I will give Comodo a look.

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

I do not understand. You can get the firewall for free so it should not expire and if you are not using the paid version, they generally do not provide any customer support. Are you using the paid version of the firewall that does not come with the antivirus program, as in ZoneAlarm Pro? Are you using one of the extreme suites or something else?

What exactly are you using from ZoneAlarm?

It is hard to help you without knowing what product you are having problems with

I have used the ZoneAlarm Antivirus and Firewall for many years and have never encountered problems

Edited by Stang777, 10 February 2010 - 09:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users