Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Userinit problem!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Valien

Valien

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

Hello! I've completely run out of options. Here's my story.

I have three computers, a Dell that I'm using now, a Mac that the rest of my family uses, and a Compaq Presario v5000 laptop, which is mine. The Dell and laptop both use Windows XP.
My friend gave it to me a couple of years ago, in horrible external shape. I cleared all the viruses he left in it, and found the laptop quite enjoyable. However, about 4 months ago, trying to purge a virus, I deleted the userinit key in the registry. Not the .exe file in the system32 folder, the registry key. This rendered me unable to log on.

I immediately tried many solutions, which all hit dead ends. I first tried to use a Windows XP CD to restore the laptop. What my friend never told me was that the CD drive in the laptop was destroyed. So I couldn't boot from a CD.

I then tried to boot Windows through a USB. I configured the USB properly after many tries, before finding out that my laptop didn't actually have the ability to boot from a flash drive.

Now 4 months later, I finally got my SATA to USB adapter, and have my laptop's hard drive successfully hooked up to this computer I'm using right now. I can browse through the folders fine.

My problem is that I don't know how to access the registry in my laptop's hard drive from this computer. I'm stuck now, when I was sure this would be the solution.

Please, I beg of you, would you be so kind as to help point me in the right direction? Can I boot my laptop's hard drive with the adapter, and use a CD to fix it? Can I access the registry from this computer somehow? Is there another solution I'm missing?

I've had to learn more about computers than I ever thought I would in the past 4 months to try and fix this...I apologize deeply if I'm missing something simple. This laptop is really important to me, and I feel I'm close to getting it to run again.

Thank you to everyone in advance. Those bleeping computers will be the end of me...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:37 AM

Have you seen this?

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Valien

Valien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:39 AM

Thank you very much, I have heard about BartPE, but I wasn't able to boot my laptop with a CD.

Is there a way to boot the CD using my Dell computer with my laptop hard drive plugged into my USB adapter? Would I load the hive through, instead of the C drive, the F drive that my laptop hard drive shows up in?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:47 AM

With Dell computers generally you hit F12 when the Dell logo appears during boot to enter the boot menu. There you can select to boot from a CD.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Valien

Valien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:18 AM

Thank you so much, I'm on the verge of tears...

It turns out I didn't need to use any CDs, but your reply gave me the hint I needed. Apparently, I could just load the hive directly from the hard drive while it was plugged into my regular Dell computer. I just wasn't loading the right Software file.

I'm typing this message on my....fixed laptop. Thank you so much! You helped restore something dearly missed!

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:25 AM

:thumbsup:

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users