Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD after Win Update 2-09-10- XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Marcied

Marcied

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:26 PM

I have a Lenovo T61. Went through the automatic updates which were successfully installed (according to Event Viewer). These included:

Secuity Update KB977165
Secirity Update KB978706
Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter KB977719
Security Update KB975560
KB978251
KB975713
KB978037
Malicious Software Removal Tool - KB890830
ActivX Killbits KB978262

Get BSOD which cycles directly into options for Safe Mode (never have seen that happen before). No action with safe mode with command prompt. Tried Safe mode and it stops at loading at drivers, specifically Mup.sys. It stops and I need to power down.

Any help or thoughts? Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lanurd

lanurd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:15 AM

KB977165 is the PC killer

You will have to replace ntkrnlpa.exe and ntoskrnl.exe in the system32 folder with the originals from the $NtUninstallKB977165$ folder.

The trick is to find a way to replace them.

I have a Windows 7 installation on the same PC. Somebody is going to get rich fixing this error since they are needed to boot anything like safe mode. You could install the drive in another PC, replace them and then put it back.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:51 AM

<<KB977165 is the PC killer>>

Opinions...you are entitled to yours.

But I downloaded/installed all critical updates yesterday...which are listed in the original post...and my two systems are still functioning normally.

Perhaps my system is "immune" to your "PC killer".

Or, perhaps your diagnosis is incorrect.

Louis

#4 rudi5

rudi5

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:25 AM

Well Louis, you are also entitled to your opinion, but a quick scan through some of the threads here and elsewhere - http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...prepair/threads is especially informative - will indicate that there are thousands of people experiencing this problem. Perhaps your experience is not the norm?

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:38 AM

Don't normally post a 'me, too', but just to confirm that I updated today with
12 updates, including the 'killer' and my computer is very much alive and well.

There may well be 'thousands' having problems; equally, I surmise, 'thousands' aren't.

What's the BSOD message - may give us all a clue.

Edited by petewills , 10 February 2010 - 11:47 AM.

#6 rudi5

rudi5

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:08 PM

Thanks petewills,
Stop error is 0x0000007E (0xC000001D, 0x80537008, 0xBA4CF3B8, 0xBA4CF0B4). I cannot enter safe mode - system freezes during list of drivers at mup.sys. I cannot enter windows recovery - another BSOD with error code 0x0000007B. Hardware diagnostics indicate no problems except with a failed battery and incorrect fan speed. I could try using an XP CD, as suggested above, but am waiting until there is a bit more of a concensus. Seems mostly like people fumbling around in the dark, with the only common denominators being the error codes and windows update.

#7 tsteele93

tsteele93

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:09 PM

KB977165 is the PC killer

You will have to replace ntkrnlpa.exe and ntoskrnl.exe in the system32 folder with the originals from the $NtUninstallKB977165$ folder.

The trick is to find a way to replace them.

I have a Windows 7 installation on the same PC. Somebody is going to get rich fixing this error since they are needed to boot anything like safe mode. You could install the drive in another PC, replace them and then put it back.

You can send me money. I found the fix. as you have said, the KB977165 update is the killer in most - if not all - instances. Not sure what setups crash with this update, but mine did.

Symptoms: Computer started, loaded raid drivers and showed the XP startup screen for a half-second then went to BSOD with a Stop Error Code of 0x0000007E - many users also seeing (0xC0000001D, 0x----------, etc) as well.

Solution:

1. Boot from your Windows XP CD and start the recovery console. You may need to press F6 while RC loads in order to load SATA drivers; you will then have a c:\WINDOWS console prompt.

2. Type: CD $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst (this is the update I had to uninstall to get out of the boot loop, other updates may be uninstalled by changing the directory name to $NtUninstallKBCODE$, where KBCODE is the KB code)

3. Type: BATCH spuninst.txt

4. Type: exit

Be sure to set your system to boot from the HD before resuming. Hope this helps. Saved me a lot of hassle today.

-Tom Steele
http://www.hawkandtom.com

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

FWIW: For info on the most common STOP errors, http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm.

Typically, 7E and 7B errors can be driver problems or hard drive/file system issues...in my limited experience. Running chkdsk /r can overcome many of the file system/hard drive errors which occur daily.

Louis

#9 rudi5

rudi5

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:44 PM

Tom - I am running a Core 2 duo cpu on a Dell Vostro 1510 with A10 BIOS. In recovery console it asks which installation I want to access. Do you know the answer to this?

#10 tsteele93

tsteele93

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:47 PM

Tom - I am running a Core 2 duo cpu on a Dell Vostro 1510 with A10 BIOS. In recovery console it asks which installation I want to access. Do you know the answer to this?

Rudi,

On my recovery it gave me only one option, which was "1. Windows" So I typed "1" and enter and it loaded.

-Tom Steele

#11 tsteele93

tsteele93

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:51 PM

FWIW: For info on the most common STOP errors, http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm.

Typically, 7E and 7B errors can be driver problems or hard drive/file system issues...in my limited experience. Running chkdsk /r can overcome many of the file system/hard drive errors which occur daily.

Louis

Louis,

I think you may be barking up the wrong tree here. If you do a search you will find that last night's KB977165 update seems to have interacted badly with a large number of systems out there. Just because it didn't affect yours doesn't mean it didn't have something that interacted badly with other system setups. It could be as simple as a particular video driver that is affected, or a raid driver or some other setting that perhaps only a small percentage of people have, but which translates into a large number of actual people - even thought it might be a small percentage.

Uninstalling KB977165 seems to do the trick for a large number of these folks.

Sincerely,
-Tom Steele
http://www.hawkandtom.com

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:01 PM

I'm not arguing with you...if you read the info I posted, it mentions drivers.

If uninstalling the KB does the trick for users, we are grateful to you for providing that solution.

Louis

#13 rudi5

rudi5

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

OK - first, many many thanks to Tom for his help! Removing the KB977165 security update seems to have cured my laptop. Provisionally... it is running normally now anyway...

Amazingly, the windows installer pops right up and wants me re-install that security update! Yeesh! I mean, I know we should all start using Windows 7 eventually, but this is starting to feel like strong-arm tactics! :thumbsup:

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:06 PM

It would be nice...to hear from the OP of this thread...

Louis

#15 rudi5

rudi5

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:25 PM

Ha - I hope that the OP can also find a fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users