Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Boot in Safe Mode (or ANY mode)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bqm8751

bqm8751

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:52 PM

ok, the thing is i had this virus on my pc which i learned after a lot of research required me to boot in safe mode in order to remove it. The problem is, while trying to boot in safe mode several times, my computer just crashes to a blue screen. I then learned that besides pressing F8 there was another way to boot in safe mode by going to "Run" and typing msconfig and booting it manually that way. Unfortunetly, this technique ended in the same crash. By now i realize that it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to boot in safe mode. My one major problem now is, that i CANNOT BOOT IN NORMAL MODE EITHER. I guess by trying to boot in safe mode using msconfig, i've changed my pc's settings to where now, normal mode=safe mode, and obviously, safe mode keeps crashing. As of now i cannot boot my pc AT ALL. I thought there might be a way to recover/fix safe mode by using the windows cd, but i really dont know what to do. i hope you guys can help me out, thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:00 PM

Since you have your Windows CD handy, you can try doing a Repair Install from the Windows Recovery Console.Note: In order to use your Windows CD, the boot order must be set to start from the CD-ROM drive. If the CD is not first in the boot order, the computer will attempt to start normally by booting from the hard drive. The boot order is a setting found in the computerís BIOS which runs when it is first powered on. This setting controls the order that the BIOS uses to look for a boot device from which to load the operating system. The default will normally be A:, C:, CD-ROM. Different computers have different ways to enter the BIOS. If you're not sure how to do this, refer to:If you don't have your XP CD you can download an ISO of the Windows Recovery Console files:Burn it as an image to a disk with MagicISO or similar program to get a bootable CD which will startup the Recovery Console for troubleshooting and repair. This is especially useful for those with OEM systems with factory restore partitions or disks but no original installation CD. If you are not sure how to burn an image, please refer to How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO and How can I burn ISO files to CD or DVD?.

Important Note: If this is a virus/Trojan related issue, you should know that some types of malware can result in a system so badly damaged that a Repair Install will NOT help!. Reinstalling Windows without first wiping the entire hard drive with a repartition and/or format will not remove the infection. The reinstall will only overwrite the Windows files. Any malware on the system will still be there afterwards. Starting over by wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS removes everything and is the safest action. Please read:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 bqm8751

bqm8751
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:03 PM

wow, this is gonna sound bad, but unfortunately it seems that my cd drive will not function at all. This is 100% not a virus related issue, but im guessing a hardware issue. Basically, after loading the windows cd, the cdrom drive sounds like it is beginning to fire up, but it just eventually slows down and stops, and my pc does not load anything from it. I've actually had this problem for a while now, but stupidly havent tryed to fix it, since i almost never use cd's to begin with. I know this may be a longshot, but i was wondering if there was any other way i could load windows repair without using my ONBOARD cd drive (maybe by buying a USB cd drive that i could coonect to my pc, or maybe even a flash drive?) Or is my best bet just to replace my old cdrom drive? i also have a second cd drive E: which is for burning dvds, if that helps any. appreciate the help, thanx

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:06 PM

I would think replacing your old CD-ROM drive would be the easiest solution. I'm not a hardware expert but I'm inclined to believe, since you cannot boot up, the OS may not detect an external hard drive and you cannot load the drivers.

When doing a Google search there are a lot of links to booting from a USB drive but reading a few, it appears you still need your Windows CD and the instructions are for installation, not repair.

Here is one example but you can investigate some of the other links. You could also start a new topic in the OS forum for more suggestions.

Edited by quietman7, 14 February 2010 - 07:06 PM.

#5 bqm8751

bqm8751
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:52 PM

let's assume that my cd drive needs to be replaced entirely. Would the technician be able to do this without having to log on or install any software?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:02 PM

I don't know for sure. As I said, I'm not a hardware expert so changing out CD's is not something I do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users