Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can changing the name of a library affect the files it points to?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:13 PM

I wouldn't have thought changing the name of one of my custom libraries could affect the files it points to, but I had a problem today. After changing the name I lost the icon for an exe file. When I clicked on it's taskbar shortcut it could not find it. I clicked on the file and it ran fine. After that, the shortcut works, but the icon on the file is still gone. The icon on the taskbar is still there.

It's not really a problem, just a head scratcher. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Rusty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:30 AM

Hi,

So I tried this today and did find a small problem - not sure if it's quite the same as yours.

When I created a shortcut to a (.exe) file in a custom library, the shortcut path was Libraries\OldName. So if I then put this shortcut onto my taskbar (desktop, etc) and changed the name of the library, the shortcut still pointed to Libraries\OldName rather than Libraries\NewName.

Strange! I'd have thought that really the shortcut should have been created the actual location of the file rather than a place in a library. Perhaps this explains your problem too?

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:22 AM

Strange! I'd have thought that really the shortcut should have been created the actual location of the file rather than a place in a library. Perhaps this explains your problem too?

Casey

My thoughts exactly. I'll play around with it when I get time.

Thanks for the reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users