Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you upgrade OEM XP with retail XP to save data?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jamie4br

Jamie4br

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

Hi, my other laptop is pretty far gone. I had a virus, worked on removing it and something terribly went wrong(I won't go into details). Now my laptop freezes at the opening 'windows' screen. I also cannot boot using safemode. It gets hung up. The safemode problem existed prior to the windows screen freeze. Anyways, I think that it's too fargone to fix. However, I have a copy of XP that came with my laptop (OEM version) of XP Home and I'm wondering if I can simply upgrade to a retail version of XP Home or XP Professonal and still maintain my data on drive C:? Also, are there any other programs out there that can mimic an operating system, allowing me to copy my data onto an external hard drive. I'm open to pretty much anything at this point... aside from reformating my HDD.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:10 PM

Well...the flaw that I see with your intents...is that any upgrade will possibly include the problems that you currently have. An upgrade is not the same as a clean install, which is one reason why most users who want to upgrade from one O/S to another...are advised to do a clean install when doing the change.

<<Also, are there any other programs out there that can mimic an operating system, allowing me to copy my data onto an external hard drive.>>

Of course, there are...they are called cloning programs and they will copy the partition or drive exactly as it is now. Use Google to view the many that exist. The manner and which they work and details of operation will vary from program to program.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users