Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to lock desktop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sealz

sealz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:49 PM

Can I and if so how do I, lock the icons on the desktop to stop children changing them and the settings on the computer. children keep moving them, moving the taskbar and getting into settings and mucking them up on the computer, how can I prevent this? I would appreciate any advice, thanx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:21 PM

98 didnt really have a built in provision to do that.

Try Iconoid
I have used it for years with 98 and would no be without it. Its cool!
If you arrow over the tabs of the screen shot on their website it will show you what each tab does.
Maybe if you hide the icons and the task bar and set up a hot corner to activate them?

Have you also tried telling the kids not to do that anymore?
Consider possibly setting them up with their own user account so they dont mess with your stuff.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:01 AM

Welcome to BC sealz.

98 didnt really have a built in provision to do that.

Eyesee you're assuming this user is running Win98, OS unstated.

Eyesee its right Win9x/ME doesn't have any type of user locks as standard. If sealz is running Win2k/XP/Vista/Win7 then he's posted in the wrong forum. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 sealz

sealz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:29 AM

Hi sorry, I think it's 98 as it is at work, I'll check but it's definately no later than that. the children in question are very young and they are still learning what to click and not click, they get quite eratic sometimes but they are getting there. I don't know if I can download the Iconoid as suggested (thanx) but I will find out and give it a go if it's possible. thanks for your help please keep the suggestions coming. Any more info needed please ask :thumbsup:

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:03 PM

You can somewhat lock it by making the screen saver ask for a password.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:20 PM

seems to me that the children are actually aloud to use this computer so a password is not the answer ,but creating a second user ,call it "children" and let them have at it

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:07 AM

With Win98 I completely agree, my little ones used to cause all sorts of Problems.

I once set up a Computer, just a little cheapy one using an old 486 using Win 3.1 as a Network to my Win98SE, for my three year old, just for him to play Games, back when Computers cost serious Money. He is now 16?

I was using the WIN98SE for serious Business, so I can really relate to this.

Little fellow was able to completely kill my Machine, BTW, that was much before I went on the Net.

Noone could work out what was happening? At that time I was a total Nobo and relied on Techs. They could not work out why my Computer was just shutting down.

Whilst a Tech was working on my Computer, the little man played a Game. Right before the Tech's eyes my Computer went Blank. I walked next door to where little man was and asked him what he had just pressed?

He showed me and one of them was the Windows Key that WIN3.1 never had. When set up, it had been given the wrong KeyBoard, not for Win3.1, but for Win95/98.

Just as simple as that? When he pressed the Win Key it freaked out my Machine.

Reason? New Techonicology and Old Rarely Mix.

This may also apply?

This is old time Computing, but it was better back then.

Ray

Edited by Drovers Dog, 10 June 2010 - 01:23 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users