Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help! Win XP startup problems

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 skybunker

skybunker

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 01 September 2005 - 01:04 PM

I keep getting this message when windows xp loads -

lsass.exe - Access Denied

"A process has requested access to an object but has not been granted those access rights."

My computer then restarts.

I don't even get as far as the desktop and i've tried safe mode but it doesnt work.

I have a boot disk and it gets me to dos. I don't know what to do.

How did this happen?
I was just reinstalling rogers yahoo online protection and it told me to restart, so i did

Please Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 05:15 PM

This may be caused by a virus ( most likely SASSER) attacking a legitimate Windows program. Update your resident anti-virus and have it thoroughly scan your computer in safe mode. If nothing is found, please reply to the thread so other remedies can be attempted.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 01 September 2005 - 05:17 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 01 September 2005 - 05:44 PM

Hi i use yahoo and they dont use rogers online protection they have their but leave it up to u, that one is a rogue site.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:02 PM

Hi skybunker
Please follow jgweed's advice in his above post. And let us know how it goes.

Rogers online protection service, is available to Rogers Cable subscribers in Canada. So it is doubtful that there is anything "rogue" about it.

Rogers Cable and Yahoo! Launch a New Integrated Broadband Experience

TORONTO & SUNNYVALE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 13, 2004--Rogers Cable Inc., Canada's largest cable operator, and Yahoo! Inc. (Nasdaq:YHOO), a leading global Internet company, today unveiled Rogers Yahoo! Hi-Speed Internet (http://rogers.yahoo.com).

...........Online Protection: Safety and security are two of the major concerns for today's Internet users. Rogers Yahoo! Hi-Speed Internet offers a wide range of online protection services including e-mail Anti-Virus, Pop-Up Blocker, SpamGuard Plus, Firewall Protection and award-winning Parental Controls.

Edited by Scarlett, 01 September 2005 - 06:04 PM.

Posted Image

#5 skybunker

skybunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:06 PM

I cant reach the desktop in safemode. I get the same error message.

#6 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:12 PM

Im not to sure on dos but cant he put a good copy of lsass.exe on floppy and copy it to the correct directery in dos? and if it still wont boot then we no it is a virus and we would have to figer out how to clean it in dos.

I do no that there are very good dos virus scanners he could sure. But im not sure if he has 2 boot to install them.

Im 99.9% sure it is the sasser worm like jgweed said it was.

Edited by cooldudenz, 01 September 2005 - 06:15 PM.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:20 PM

Tell us about your computer - what op system, cable or dsl, router?

What Anti-virus program was on it when you installed Rogers-Yahoo?
Did you deactivate the resident AV program you had or did you just load the Rogers-Yahoo program on top of it so both were running?

How did you get to the dos prompt? A win 98 boot disc?

#8 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:28 PM

Ok this sounds like it might help

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

What computer are you on now? Is it the same as your broken one? They will need to be the same operating system and most likly the same SP pack to be safe. If they are the same try it
If it works you should be able to boot if so come back here and let us no. From there it should be easy to fix the problem.

Download the latest self-installing package of PE Builder and install it. See the Download section on this page.

Start PE Builder (pebuilder.exe). At the main PE Builder dialog, enter the source path to your original Windows XP/2003 Installation/Setup CD. You can use the "..." button to navigate. If your Windows XP is not integrated with service pack 1 or 2, you must slipstream your files first.
Please read Slipstreaming files from the help files to do this.

At the main PE Builder dialog, enable the "Create ISO image" and "Burn to CD" option. Select your CD writer device from the Device listbox.
If you use a CDRW media, also check the "Erase CDRW" option.

At the main PE Builder dialog, hit the "build" button (or press F7). PE Builder will now ask you to create a directory, answer with "yes".

The license for your Windows XP/2003 product is shown. Read it and agree to it to continue.

PE Builder will now start building BartPE. This will take a few minutes.
You will see a lot of files getting copied and/or decompressed, the ISO image build and the data recorded to your CD writer.
While burning to your CD writer you will not see any screen changes, just wait for it to finish...

When burned OK, boot from the CD!

#9 skybunker

skybunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:34 PM

Im using win xp, linksys router. I have the latest service pack installed already.
I have rogers-yahoo anti-virus program already running. I was just reinstalling the program since i noticed the popup blocking was not working for internet explorer (I went to a test page for popup blocking provided by rogers-yahoo and it was not working http://ca.edit.companion.yahoo.com/config/...l=ca&.p=pubtry)
During installation of the program, i noticed windows saying the rogers antivirus program is not running (a picture of a red shield in the bottom right corner of the taskbar). After installation, i rebooted the computer and the problem began.
I can go to dos by a boot disk i made through win xp a few weeks ago.

Also, i just got rid of a trojan on my computer called clickspring yesterday using the ewido program.

I hope this helps

#10 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:39 PM

I had never herd of rogers-yahoo anti-virus before. When your computer is fixed i would recommend AVG Anti virus ( free ) Or Norton.
Also you may of instsalled SP2 wile you had viruses and by the looks of it the sasser worm on your computer. This can cause problems, looks like it has.

But dont worry you have came to the right place!

Let us no if PEBUILDER thing works. All you need is to be able to boot. I no a guy ill that should be able to help ill ring him tonight and find out some more info.

Edited by cooldudenz, 01 September 2005 - 06:42 PM.

#11 skybunker

skybunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:39 PM

the computer that is broken has win xp professional. the one im using here is win xp home edition.

#12 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:04 PM

Ok try this removal tool im not sure if it will run in DOS.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...moval.tool.html

You will need to download it and put it on floppy.
Boot as you did off your bootable floppy into dos mode, then insert the floppy with the removal tool. If you can put them both on the same floppy.

When in DOS i THINK these are the commands you will need to type. ( You cant do any damage if its not ) If these arnt correct i will update when i get on my own computer in a few hours.
Type:

cd..
Then press enter. Do that twice ( just because i dont no were you will start, You need to include the " .. " just two )

Then type
cd A:
Press Enter
The " C:> " at the side SHOULD now be a " A:> " then type
fxsasser.exe
Then press enter.
All going well that should start the tool then simply run the scan. If there is no option and there is a area to type, type " /start "

Hope that helps tell me if there are any problems ill be able to do more when im at home.

Edited by cooldudenz, 01 September 2005 - 07:05 PM.

#13 skybunker

skybunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:24 PM

sasser scan does not work in dos, thats what it said.

#14 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:30 PM

I see you have at least 2 computers, if you ca get your hands on knoppix (a bootable cd linux style) or superutils (windows version bootable cd) and can boot to cd, at least you can search for it , edit your registry/startmenu, this will limp you into at least safe mode when you reboot. i dunno how computer savvy you feel, but you can also take a side off your case, take out your hard drive, put it into another computer, that can boot into windows. once you are into windows, update your virus scanner and scan your drive . good luck
Google...Google.....browse..read

#15 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:25 PM

If you take the Hard Drive out and put it in other computer ( as a slave ) make sure the computer your putting it into is fully patched

Boot into safe mode when doing the scan.
http://hsc.usf.edu/is/download/update/Wind...732-x86-ENU.EXE

And make sure u use some anti-static protection when changing over the harddrives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users