Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ask Jeeves just got personal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:38 AM

Ask Jeeves at one time was a popular search engine. Then Google came, and all the other search engines were now sitting under its shadow. Ask Jeeves hopes to change that with their new service called My Jeeves.

My Jeeves is a personalized service that allows you to search for keywords, and then save the search items you want in a collection that you can retrieve later. Having multiple collections of search items will allow you to quickly retrieve only those search results that you saved when you need them. Some of the other features of this program is the ability to share these collections with your friends or add notes to the search results. These collections are only available to the PC you had created them on, but if you register an account with a email address and password, you can access these saved search results from any machine.

More importantly, though, they have also upgraded their search engine technology called Teoma to version 3.0. This upgrade consists of enhanced relevance for search results, more frequency of indexing web sites, and an expanded index.

Anyone else notice that Jeeves is looking a lot skinnier these days?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2004 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the info. Grinler. Personalized searches would be wonderful. As it is now, I always bookmark where I was last and that clutters up my Favorites Folder. Lol Hey, maybe Jeeves is on the Atkins Diet. Whatever he is doing it is working. So slim and trim.
Posted Image

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:11 PM

Google will never be beat! Never so all other give up! I love google and google will fight along too with all the others to upgrade its engine!
My opinion on the matter im just a googler

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:18 PM

Me too CGM3. It is my default search engine. But on the other hand saved searches are a plus. Maybe Google will have that option soon. (BTW IMHO MSN Search :thumbsup:) Just my 2 cents.
Posted Image

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2004 - 04:17 PM

An interesting approach; I wonder if anyone has ventured any privacy concerns, as they have with, for example, Gmail.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Hawk

Hawk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2004 - 05:10 PM

@Grinler

Good one,thank you mate.(search items you want in a collection that you can

retrieve later)its great. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users