Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsers all timed out

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 frustrated_user

frustrated_user

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:25 PM

Hi all,

New member here and my first post. If I should be in the wrong forum, please direct me to the right one.

Problem, short version: All the browsers I tried timed out on me.

Long version:

Running XP Pro + SP2, still on dial-up. Until a few days ago, the only installed browser was IE7 and everything worked fine even without any firewall. Periodically I run Superantispyware and remove the offenders.

A few days ago I installed NS7 for a specific reason, and will need it for a short period. (I'll tell why if necessary). Things continued to work fine for a couple of days with both NS7 and IE7. Then all hell broke lose. When either browser is launched, it will work fine for a few links and will time out no matter what page I try to open. After running Superantispyware and reinstalling the modem driver, the time out continues.

I then installed Zone Alarm and AdWare (both freshly downloaded), same problem.

I then installed Firefox (up to date version), and again the same problem.

I am posting from a unconnected Win98 with Zone Alarm, and with the same dial-up ISP. No time out with either NS7 or IE6.

I have run out of ideas what to do at this point. TIA for any help you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users