Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing C:\winnt folder

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Brucerb

Brucerb

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:47 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 700m with Win XP Pro, SP3. I was having a problem trying to get a USB wireless adapter to work because I could not get the hardware to recognize the driver file. I have since found out that the driver files are supposed to be located in the C:\winnt\DRIVER folder and the C:\winnt folder. This is where they are on my desktop computer where the adapter does work, and this computer runs Win XP Pro, SP3 as well. My laptop computer is missing C:\winnt so I cannot load the driver files although everything else seems to work on that computer. Why would one computer have the winnt folder and the other not if they both have the same Win XP?

Edited by Brucerb, 09 February 2010 - 03:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:59 PM

Winnt refers to Windows 2000...the XP folder is simply C:\Windows.

The drivers for a Dell Inspiron 700: Dell Inspiron 700 Drivers/Downloads.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users