Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express Printing Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pirahnya

Pirahnya

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:23 PM

This is weird. Outlook Express will print garbage (code) for only one sender. This is duplicatable. ALL OTHER e-mail prints with no problem. Just the e-mail from one sender prints this way. It is from a district court and is confidential, so it can't be shared. Sometimes we recieve the e-mail daily and we need to print out a hard-copy. They range from 15 to 20 pages in length. The secretary started it printing and before checking the printout, she went to lunch. She came back and it had used the entire tray of paper and wanted more. Each page maybe hand a few characters to just one line of characters.

Right now, she's copying the entire message, putting it into WordPerfect and printing it that way. Works. However, the BOSS wants it fixed, because "that's just not right..." blah, blah, blah.

Any hints?

James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:45 PM

Obviously the text of the email that was sent is not being parsed by the printer. How is this information being transmitted, and is there any special formatting?

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:48 PM

If it's critical that it be printed from email, try it from webmail. Do a test page first to see how it does.
If it works, at least you'll have a work-around until the OE issue is resolved.

#4 Pirahnya

Pirahnya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:13 PM

Thanks cryptodan: I don't see any strange or unsual formatting in the e-mail. It's what I first thought because they'd have to be doing something for only their e-mail to be printing all googly-eyed. I'd like to know if other recipients of the court mail are experiencing the same issue.

Thanks Queen-Evie: It's not critical to be printed from the e-mail client, it's the boss' preference that if it came in on e-mail, it should be printed from the e-mail program. Lordie, he'd have a cow if he knew about the stuff I've done to provide him with the things he's requested. Beside, our ISP does not provide a webmail service (they used to, but disabled it because nobody used it).

I may temporarily install Thunderbird and see what happens there.

James

#5 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:46 PM

Interesting reading here: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html

Could it be the other end is somehow sending to you a fax encoding to your email address?
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

#6 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:29 PM

Hey, Pirahnya, I was looking for info about a different Outlook Express formatting problem and stumbled upon something possibly related to your problem!

From this website: http://mailformat.dan.info/config/oex.html

Look down page, under Configuring Outlook Express and 'The Plain Text Settings...' then check what he says about 'Base 64 Encoding'. Sounds real similar to what you described, so maybe somebody on the other end of those emails either made some wrong settings changes accidently or decided to play a trick, who knows...?

Hope it helps, now I'll keep searching for the answer to my own problem :thumbsup:
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users