Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Mini 9 Netbook Inspiron 910

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:56 PM

This new netbook has no space to defragment the drive. No pictures, music files or anything else taking up the space. Can I attach a usb external drive and export programs to free space? Also, the battery wont charge?
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:53 AM

Well, after more research on this netbook I understand it is mainly for use to surf and check Email, not much else. I may need to delete some programs installed such as Power point viewer and an Adobe program. This may free up some space so I can defragment. Can anyone else chime in?
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:06 AM

There is an issue with SSD's, as items are deleted the memory blocks are not reused, only SSD's that are setup for a program called TRIM can take advantage of reclaiming the lost space. I have an Acer SSD mini w/8 gigs, I also have an 8 gig SSD in the side slot which I have loaded most of my programs on. I have been keeping an eye out for someone to write a program for the older SSD's but so far N/G.

Hit the link below for more info!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:11 AM

netbooks with small drives are limited. An external usb drive should work just fine. You can even install programs on them and just make sure you have them plugged in when you want to use them.

My toshiba netbook has a 250g 2.5 hard disk rather than the ssd drives the minis come with. a 32g ssd is available but the larger the size the more expensive the ssd drives get.

I created restore disks, imaged the drive and created linux boot usb flash drives for my netbook the day I got it.

I fix so many I can't pretend it won't break someday.

As far as the battery, some dells will not charge the battery if the power adapter is not an actual dell. There is a third wire that carries a known microvoltage the pc checks to confirm it is attached to a dell power adapter and while it will power the laptop, it will not charge the battery. Dell does not do this on every model so It is not a definite thing, but you should be able to google to find out.

Actual dell power adapters that develop a break in that wire will also stop charging the battery.

The mini 9 was an early adopters model and Dell made several hardware changes over it's short introduction. Their later models show what they learned from it.

BTW Dell seems to be out of replacement drives for the mini. I called trying to buy one for a client. The replacement on most of them is a mini-pci-e half length formfactor with sata firmware. Other ssd drives will not work. Be carful to only buy parts you can return if they are not compatible.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:23 AM

I have gleaned quite a bit from the site below, you may find some thing that will help you along. It is the ACER site but the drives all work in the same manner.

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=54

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:22 AM

Thanks Old Phil, the logic at Microsoft of getting sales of 7 from people using older os is understandable, but is it ethical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users