Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mouse freezing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 johnfiftyone

johnfiftyone

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:46 PM

Hi I have a problem with my mouse or an other part of hardware, basically my mouse has been fine for ages and now its as though it randomly unplugs itself from the computer.

I have tried other mice and it has been a similar result, at any time it could just freeze.

What I'm doing on the computer doesn't correlate with why my mouse is not working, I have left it afk doing nothing and it still manages to freeze.

The strange thing is, is that if i pull the mouse out and then plug it back in it works, but only until it freezes again.

I have suspicions that its something to do with my hard drive and that needing to be defragmented, but i have recently uninstalled about 3 gig worth of software and it is still managing to freeze.

Oh, and I have also tried uninstalling several drivers to no avail either. (gfx card and also the mouse)

Another odd thing is that when i restart it works for a limited time also

Edited by johnfiftyone, 09 February 2010 - 12:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:17 PM

It wouldn't happen to be a Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint)? That is what I'm using and I am having the same problems.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#3 johnfiftyone

johnfiftyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:22 PM

It wouldn't happen to be a Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint)? That is what I'm using and I am having the same problems.

Not sure, my mouse is a logitech mx510

#4 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

Sounds like your mouse is USB plug and play and attached by a cable; if this is the case, have you checked the cable? you could have loose wires. Have you tried a wireless mouse? The fact that you say it happens with other mice it could be that some malware is lurking on your pc. Have you done full antivirus and malware scans?
Posted Image
Hug someone today and get on their nerves!

#5 johnfiftyone

johnfiftyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:30 AM

Sounds like your mouse is USB plug and play and attached by a cable; if this is the case, have you checked the cable? you could have loose wires. Have you tried a wireless mouse? The fact that you say it happens with other mice it could be that some malware is lurking on your pc. Have you done full antivirus and malware scans?

Yes my mouse is wired, im not sure if its usb or not, but I do know that it plugs round at the back of the case. Im also afraid I dont have any wireless mice to use to test the issue, but everything else with the computer seems to be working fine.

I just recently bought a new harddrive, but the problem still persists, so I don't think its down to a malicious file.

I've read somewhere that it could be down to a faulty power supply, is there a way of testing this?

Edited by johnfiftyone, 12 February 2010 - 08:31 AM.

#6 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:20 PM

I know that there is an automatic and a manual way to test power supply to your pc, but I am sorry I don't know details :thumbsup:
Posted Image
Hug someone today and get on their nerves!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:52 PM

Well...I suggest first taking a look in Device Manager and seeing how many mouse drivers are installed. Show hidden devices.

I then suggest removing all those that do not apply to the mouse you currently use.

I would do this before I moved on to any other component of the system.

Louis

Remove Unused Drivers and Devices - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...andDevices.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users