Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheating laptop / notebook

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 unnnies

unnnies

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:42 AM

I have been having issues with an overheating laptop and a very loud/constantly running fan.

It's an HP Pavilion dv1000 and is 4 years old. I've used, abused, and dragged this great machine with me everywhere. Now that I have moved on I rehabbed the laptop so my mom can use it in the kitchen for recipes and the occasional fact check.

Initially the fan would run constantly and the machine would overheat to the point of shut down.

I found recommendations to clean out the PC. So far I have removed as much dust as possible though the vents with compressed gas and cotton swabs. It fixed the shutdown issue but the fan still runs constantly, loudly, and the laptop gets hot to touch. It seems complicated open the machine and closely examine the fan and heat sink. At this point I wonder if there is anyway to run diagnostics on the heat sink or if I should just try to replace it.

I would like to get the machine to maintain a normal temperature.

Thanks for any and all consideration!

(also I currently have a non-hp battery in the machine, but the battery never gets hot. Could it be a voltage problem? I have recently re-installed window XP so that hopefully would solve an software setting issues.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:51 AM

No need to replace it, but if you are able to, remove the old thermal sticky tape and add new thermal compound
While it is apart, you will have better access tho the fan and ducting to clean it out better
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 unnnies

unnnies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:55 PM

Alright, I finally had the chance to dissemble the laptop and clean out the heat sink. It was completely clogged so I blew it out, but I am not really sure what to do with the thermal compound. The heat sink didn't have any tape or a thermal pad on it. I put the machine back together, it still get moderately warm and fan runs loudly so I guess I need to put that compound somewhere. Should I just rub a thin layer of the paste on the underside?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:04 PM

Clean the processor and the bottom of the heatsink with rubbing alcohol
Use a small drop of compound [about the size of a +1/2 grain of rice]
More is not better
Spread it evenly and thinly without any bubbles on top of the CPU
Take care not to get it on any circuitry

Edited by garmanma, 14 February 2010 - 08:05 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users