Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Batch Cleanup of Temporary Directories

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Will B.

Will B.

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:38 AM

EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED! THANKS ANYWAYS!

Hi, I am making a batch script that cleans up the temporary folders of an external hard drive with a copy of Windows XP installed on it using a computer running Windows XP.
I just want to validate the temporary files that can be cleaned out of windows and if there are any other files or folders that can be deleted (temp folders will be deleted and recreated using the rd and mkdir comands)

Here is the list I have:
%*DRIVE*%\Pagefile.sys
%*DRIVE*%\Hiberfile.sys
%*DRIVE*%\Temp\
%*DRIVE*%\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations
%*DRIVE*%\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files
%*DRIVE*%\WINDOWS\Temp\
%*DRIVE*%\Documents and Settings\%USER%\UserData
%*DRIVE*%\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
%*DRIVE*%\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Local Settings\Temp
%*DRIVE*%\System Volume Information\

I have FULL control of the drive and every folder on it, therefore removing folders like System Volume Information is not a problem. Also are there any websites that have a list of known files and folders associated with malware that I could add to my script? (I will be making a script for vista as well in the near future, upon completing this script I will post a copy of it on this forum for anyone to use, it should be a handy tool for cleaning up infected computers) Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Edited by Will B., 09 February 2010 - 04:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users