Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq V5000 Laptop (Overheating Problem)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Bennett

Daniel Bennett

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:17 AM

Hi i have a friends laptop i aim trying to repair:

Firstly it boots up into windows and after about 5-10 mins of use powers itself off. i have come to the conclusion it could be the cpu overheating due to a faulty heatsink / fan?

or could it be the cpu sensor i am about to purchase a second hand heatsink that is tested as working but am i going to be wasting money could it be the cpu sensor or do i need to remove heatsink and re-apply thermal paste?

Regards,

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

HI Dan and :thumbsup: to the BC forums!

First, we need a little bit more info about your laptop, such as brand and model number, if you could supply us with that info, we can assist you better.

Second, it certainly would not hurt to carefully open the laptop's bottom and making sure all vent openings are clear of any dust and the fan is spining freely.
If you decide to remove the heatsink, make sure you protect the unit from any static electricity discharge from your body, by grounding yourself to the metal frame inside the unit at all times.
Adding some new heatsink compound wouldn't hurt, using alcohol on a clean lint-free rag you can remove the old compound. Just be careful not to rub too hard as to cause stress or damage to the processor or board. Then add enough of a bead of new compound so it spreads out evenly over the processor's metalic surface.

Once you give us more info on your board and processor type, we can offer you more advice.

Thanks and best regards.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 09 February 2010 - 11:52 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Daniel Bennett

Daniel Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:12 AM

ok ill try and find out what board it is!

the make and model is Compaq V5000

i am going to purchase some thermal paste and clean to old stuff of and re-apply and connect the heatsink back to the processor and see if this helps! thanks.

dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users