Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LiveSoftRock redirecting browser, possible malware

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 alliep

alliep

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:16 AM

Hello! I"m having the EXACT SAME problems as username HoopersJudge in this post below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/293800/antivirus-soft-malware/
Word for word are the problems I'm having...same websites that I'm directed to.

I am accessing this website from my work computer because I cannot access any websites from mine. It redirects me to livesoftrock.com and constantly pop up errors.
I have used Combofix in the past and it has worked and still have it on my computer but cannot open. I get blasted with the security warning "application cannot be executed. the file alg.exe is infected. do you want to activate your antivirus now? yes / no" The file name changes each time it pops up.

Can this be done in safe mode where it will allow me to work my way through the system but avoid the pop ups?
Thanks so much for you help in advance.

Allie

Move to AII. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 09 February 2010 - 07:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

Moderator bump.

What is your operating system: Windows XP, Vista, etc.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:53 PM

Hello Allie. Sorry for the delay.

If you still need help, please tell me what operating system you are using, what steps you have taken so far, and if any symptoms have changed.

With Regards,
The Panda

#4 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:29 AM

I am operating Windows XP.
The day after I posted my original post, this "malware" or whatever is was, gone and I was no longer having these problems. However, I cannot access the internet from my user profile. If I sign on to another user, I can access the internet no problem.

#5 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:33 AM

Panda,
The only thing I've done was run a full scan with my virus protection. I do have Combo Fix on my desktop that I've used in the past which corrected my problem but I couldn't remember how to use it and then I read on this forum that you shouldn't use without "direction"

Thanks so much.
allie

#6 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:57 PM

Hello allie .

In that case, it would be easiest to abandon the user. Correcting currupted profiles is tedious and not often successful.

Let's check for anything remaining.

Download and Run ATFCleaner
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune. This program will clear out temporary files and settings. You will likely be logged out of the forum where you are recieving help.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program. If you are using Windows Vista, right click the icon and select Run As Administrator.
  • Under Main Select Files to Delete choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
Run Scan with Kaspersky
Run the scan from any account with administrator access.

If you are using Windows Vista, open your browser by right-clicking on its icon and select Run as administrator to perform this scan.
  • Please disable your realtime protection software before proceeding. Refer to this page if you are unsure how.
  • Open the Kaspersky Scanner page.
  • Click on Accept and install any components it needs.
  • The program will install and then begin downloading the latest definition files.
  • After the files have been downloaded on the left side of the page in the Scan section select Critical Areas.
  • This will start the program and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while, so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete, click on View scan report
  • Now, click on the Save Report as button.
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.
You can refer to this animation by sundavis.

This scanner will only scan. It does not remove any malware it finds.

With Regards,
The Panda

#7 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:46 PM

What do you mean by "abandon user"? Will I have to delete all files and programs? This is my primary user, admin, etc.
Is it possible to delete the Internet Explorer and reload? The connection is still there since I am able to get on under another user just not on mine. I would hate to delete the primary user and not have any adminstrator rights unless I can redirected rights to a new user.

Another thing is, you requested that I download cleaners but I am ubable to get online to retreive the links. I could copy and paste into an email and click on it there but if it redirects me to the internet, it will not work.

Would restoring help?
I tried to restore the night all of this happened and it would not let. I have not tried it since all errors stopped and internet connection disappeared.

Thanks so much for your help.

Allie

#8 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:33 PM

Hello.

Let's hold off on the scanners for now.

What do you mean by "abandon user"? Will I have to delete all files and programs? This is my primary user, admin, etc.

You do not have to delete any files or programs, unless you had programs that were installed for one user; most are installed for everyone.

You can first designate another use as admin.

Is it possible to delete the Internet Explorer and reload?

It is actually. Could you download an installer from another computer and transfer it?

Would restoring help?

I would not advise this at the moment. Malware can be caught in the system restore cache and come back when restored. While they are sitting there though, they cannot harm your computer. However, do not clear the caches yet either just in case your computer becomes unstable.

With Regards,
The Panda

With Regards,
The Panda

#9 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:25 PM

You do not have to delete any files or programs, unless you had programs that were installed for one user; most are installed for everyone.
You can first designate another use as admin.
And how would I do that? I will double check my "guest user" profile and see if the programs match my user profile. How would I secure my files in order to transfer them over to the new "admin" profile?

Is it possible to delete the Internet Explorer and reload?
It is actually. Could you download an installer from another computer and transfer it?
How would I do that? Does the other computer have to be here with me or can it be done at my work and emailed to my home?

Which of these should I try first?

Thanks!
Allie

#10 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

Hello.

Files are not deleted when a profile is deleted. In fact, we don't even have to delete it. Let's try this first.

On your current admin account:
  • Click Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Create New Account
  • Give the account a name.
  • Select Computer administrator for the Account Type.
  • Click Create Account.
Try logging onto the new account. Tell me how it goes.

With Regards,
The Panda

#11 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:43 PM

Done! I even tried the internet and it worked.
I also took a screen shot of my programs to compare with the ones on my other username.

What's next?

Allie

#12 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:59 PM

I compared my programs and everything is the same except for 1 or 2 that were not on the new user name. There were like 3 Nortons (each with a different name) on the old one but was missing 1 on the new one. Do you think that would make a difference? Guess that might be hard to say.

#13 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:22 PM

Hello.

There were like 3 Nortons (each with a different name) on the old one but was missing 1 on the new one. Do you think that would make a difference?

They might just be old shortcuts to old versions. Do they open what they are suppose to?

You probably want to keep the location of your documents. You can follow the guide below to change the My Documents location of the new user account to point to the old one.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147

After, I would advise running the scans indicated in my other post.

With Regards,
The Panda

#14 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:46 PM

Great!! I'll do that when I get home.

Thanks so much for your help.

Allie

#15 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:18 PM

Ok, I checked my old user for the path to set my new user Documents. When I tried to search it when I got to Administrator it showed my name under it with no folders...it's like it was empty. So I typed in C:\Documents and Settings\Alison\My Documents and this is what I get "C:\Documents and Settings\Alison\My Documents does not exist. Would you like to create it?" I choose YES and I get this error "Invalid Target The location you requested is not allowed as a target. Please choose a new location.

Is there another way to get those files over?

Also, I set up my Outlook and I was wondering if there was anyway to bring over the emails that I already have on my old user profile?

Thanks!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users