Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer does not recognise network adapter

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Julian Ooi

Julian Ooi

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:13 AM

Hello

I have a Philips Freevents MT1900 desktop PC with Vista Home Premium SP2. I recently changed the hard drive as the the old one failed. After reinstalling Vista and the other drivers, I tried to install the drivers for the motherboard built in ethernet network adapter; Intel® PRO/1000 PM Network Connection, but the PC said that it was not present.

Since then, there has been a couple of times when the adapter has been recognised and actually works when starting windows. However most of the time it is not there - not present in device manager and no yellow question mark or anything?

Could it be that the adapter is wearing out?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:38 PM

This may or may not work in Vista! This is a guess, I think the system may treat the net card like a modem, try deleting it then open the case ground yourself against the frame then remove the adapter and reboot. Again shut down and then reinstall the card and reboot see if windows finds it. If it does it will either assign drivers or ask for the drivers so have them handy.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:35 PM

When it doesn't find it, what is listed in Device Manager?

You can also look in the BIOS and make sure its there and enabled.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Julian Ooi

Julian Ooi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for the replies.

The network card is built into the motherboard so unfortunately I cannot remove it.

When the adapter is has not been recognised on starting windows, there is nothing in device manager under network connections, as if it was not installed in the tower.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:07 AM

Is there anything in the list with a yellow ? or ! ?

What is listed under Network adapters?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:44 PM

Just thinking are there any drivers on a Phillips system disc?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 Julian Ooi

Julian Ooi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:39 AM

Sometimes on booting up the network adapter will work properly and is listed under device manager as working properly. However, most of the time it is not recognised at all; not listed in device manager even as a unknown device or listed in network connections, as if it was not even there. On these occasions only the wireless network card is listed under network adapters.

I did not get a system disc with the PC however on first start up I made a recovery disc.

I have installed the latest drivers for the adapter also, but the problem still persists.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:26 AM

Sometimes on booting up the network adapter will work properly and is listed under device manager as working properly. However, most of the time it is not recognised at all; not listed in device manager

I don't think there's any doubt that this behaviour indicates the onboard adaptor is faulty.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:53 PM

Yeah I think its just a faulty onboard card. PCI NICs are fairly cheap, less than $20 with shipping if bought online. There is also a USB option, just make sure its USB 2 and not 1.1.

#10 Julian Ooi

Julian Ooi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:14 AM

OK, thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users