Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Recovery Console Administrator Password

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:52 AM

XP Pro SP3.

I have Recovery Console installed as a boot option and have a bootable RC CD.

I am perplexed by folks that try to use RC and seem to get stuck being asked to enter an Administrator password.

I put an Administrator password on my system and a password on my regular account and know I need to enter them to get logged in on a regular boot. It all works as expected. I also have my regular account to log in automatically but know my password is still there.

When I boot RC using any method. either the XP installation CD, the installed RC or my bootable RC CD, I never get asked for an Administrator password. I never have gotten asked, and I have booted RC a lot.

Some people seem to get asked and not know what to do, so of course the advice is just press Enter. Sometimes they say they don't know what the Administrator PW is, but I have never even been prompted.

Why do some folks apparently get asked for an Administrator PW in RC and I cannot make my system ask me for an Administrator password in RC even if I try?

I want to get asked for a PW in RC just for the experience of seeing it.

What am I missing?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:10 AM

xp home always asks for the administrator password and it is blank if it is a default install. But pro ask the installer to create a password at install. Some oem's bypass this "feature".

I suspect some malware or malware repair damages whatever decides the admin password is needed because I always find the systems that won't accept the known password or asks for one where it should not exist, have trojans and droppers on them.

The above logic is not conclusive though since damn near every computer I get to work on has some malware on it.
Maybe someone can give a definite answer.

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:42 AM

Maybe it is the XP Home connection and I can't try that.

Nothing is broken here, I have just never seen it, never been asked and can't make it ask. I just want to see it.

I have also never been asked for a PW in Safe Mode and can't get that to happen either.

If somebody has set up an Administrator PW and doesn't know it or forgets it, I can fix that.

Maybe somebody else will help clear up this back of my mind curiosity.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:18 AM

I can confirm that it was required with XP Home, certainly, when I used the RC to run chkdsk, for example.
(RC on my SP3 slipstreamed disk).

Nothing is broken here

Does this not contradict your general view that if something is not as it should be,
then it is 'broken'. LOL

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:39 AM

I got my XP Pro SP3 Recovery Console to ask me for the Administrator password after changing the:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole

SecurityLevel = 1 - no password request
SecurityLevel = 0 - yes password request

Maybe I changed it to 1 sometime years ago.

If anybody can relate any personal observations about do you get a request for PW or not, that would be great. I just don't recall ever getting asked until I toggled this today.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:06 AM

It's not a request...it's a standard part of the Recovery Console routine...before it will process any command.

It's part of the script that has to be navigated through, generally by just hitting Enter.

Louis

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:26 AM

I was trying to figure out why I do not recall ever being asked for the Administrator password when entering Recovery Console on my system and some people do seem to get asked.

I have just never, never, never seen it before (in recent memories) and could not make it happen to me even after establishing an Administrator password. It was annoying me not to get asked and I wanted to actually experience it.

Since I don't get asked and don't recall ever being asked, I was thinking I must have changed it sometime in the past.

Do you get asked and what is your SecurityLevel :thumbsup:, what is the default on an untampered system?

Edited by joseibarra, 16 February 2010 - 09:26 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:35 AM

As I said...it's a standard part of the RC script that runs.

After selection of the O/S by entering 1 and hitting Enter...the next line is "password".

It's programmed in.

I have XP Home, SP3 now...but this has been there since I first installed Windows XP in 2001.

FWIW: I don't use passwords on my system. I am the only person who ever operates these systems (I live alone), I don't share with other users, I have no need to setup a password.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users