Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet security 2010, ran Combofix on my own!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 wsb851

wsb851

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:44 AM

My boss's computer has internet security 2010 on it, tried to run MBAM but it stalled 3 times after running for 2 1/2 hrs. Ran combofix against your warnings out of impatience, found rootkit, upon restart i get:
Intel® Boot Agent FE v4. 1. 18
Copyright © 1997-2005, Intel Corporation

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
Operating System not found

Can anyone please help me?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 09 February 2010 - 07:43 PM.
Move to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:24 PM

Is this a work computer? If so, have you contacted and advised your IT Department? In most work environments, the IT staff implement specific policies and procedures for the use of computer equipment and related resources. In fact, many companies will require you to read those policies and sign a statement of understanding. These official procedures are designed and implemented to provide security and certain restrictions to protect the network. This allows all users to safely use business resources with minimum risk of malware infection, illegal software, and exposure to inappropriate Internet sites or other prohibited activity. We will not assist with attempts to circumvent those policies or security measures.

Our forums are set up to help the home computer user deal with issues and questions relating to personal computers. We are not equipped to involve ourselves in any legal issues that may arise due to loss of business data and loss of revenue as a result of malware infection or the disinfection process which in some instances require reformatting and reinstallation of the operating system. Further, many of the tools we use are restricted to non-commercial use by their creators.

A business IT staff generally has established procedures in place to deal with issues and infections on client machines on the network. As such, they may not approve of employees seeking help at an online forum or outside the business office as doing so could interfere or cause problems with their removal methods. Further, the malware you are dealing with may have infected the network. If that's the case, the IT Department needs to be advised right away so they can take the appropriate measures.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 wsb851

wsb851
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:13 PM

No, this is his wife's personal laptop.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:30 AM

Did MBAM fail to run on your wife's machine as it failed to run on your boss's? Sorry but I don't know if you are talking about two different computers or if you are referring to your wife as your boss and its the same machine.

#5 wsb851

wsb851
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:40 AM

It is my boss's wifes personal laptop (only 1 computer, not a work computer). mbam ran for 2 1/2 hrs then locked up the computer. I had to manually shut down the computer and turn it back on. I did this 3 times then ran combofix, it detected a rootkit and restarted and now says:

Intel® Boot Agent FE v4. 1. 18
Copyright © 1997-2005, Intel Corporation

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
Operating System not found

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:43 AM

That error message can be related to various possible issues from something as simiple as a disk in the floppy drive that is not bootable, to hard drive failure, BIOS not detecting the hard drive, a problem with the master boot record, or even malware infection.

"Operating System Not Found" or "Missing operating system" error message

This issue may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:
* The basic input/output system (BIOS) does not detect the hard disk.
* The hard disk is damaged.
* Sector 0 of the physical hard disk drive has an incorrect or malformed master boot record (MBR).
* An incompatible partition is marked as Active.
* A partition that contains the MBR is no longer active.

So if CF found a rootkit you could be dealing with multiple issues.

There are instructions provided by Microsoft to check the BIOS first. The message about Intel seems to indicate the problem is related to your BIOS. Intel has information on Boot Agent Error Messages and their causes in the Intel Boot Agent Application Notes for BIOS Engineers.

When doing a search on the net for PXE-E61: Media test failure Operating System not found for this particular problem, you will find numerous reports and suggestions for fixing that issue.

You will need to do some research or start a new topic in the Operating Systems Subforums forum specifically for this issue.

Edited to close since duplicate topic posted here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/294693/ran-combofix-operating-system-not-found/

Edited by quietman7, 10 February 2010 - 01:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users