Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Programs - What are the following?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rei Santino

Rei Santino

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:36 AM

Lately, my computer takes 15 minutes or more to fully start up. When rebooting, if I do not let it idle on the login screen for at least 5 minutes, I get the sluggiest computer experience known to mankind. Additionally, if I don't let it load up for about 8-10 minutes once on my desktop, I've found it will drastically slow down the computer.

The first thing that comes to mind is a virus, of course. The only problem is that I've scanned my computer with multiple Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware programs just to find a tiny bit of spyware - nothing that could really be slowing the computer down.

So, at this point the only thing that comes to mind is a lack of memory (RAM, etc.). Now, it would require money to fix most of the problem, but there's always the option of cutting down on exactly what all loads at startup to reduce the strain on the computer. Thus my questions: what exactly are the following programs, what significance do they hold with the operation of my computer, is it safe to disable them, if so, how, and if not, why?

|-> Finderbar
|-> Leftsider
|-> Refresh Icon Cache
|-> Styler Toolbar
|-> YzShadow

Posted Image

I've installed numerous Bricopacks in the past - along with an annoying little Mac OSX theme that has altered my startup screen (I can't seem to change it, any help there as well?), taskbar icons, and various other system graphics (explorer animations, Shutdown dialogue, etc.). I imagine most of the above programs are ghosts of the programs I did not properly uninstall, so I'm assuming I can remove them- though I won't alter anything until I've been told so here.

Thanks guys!

Regards,
Rei

Edited by Rei Santino, 09 February 2010 - 03:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bluebeard19352

bluebeard19352

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:29 AM

Most of those programs are for special effects,such as making it look like a mac machine,or creating shadows or working with icons.
I would try to clean up your programs that run in the background.
Run msconfig and unclick what you don't need.
Uninstall some of those little programs that you don't need.
Then run a registry cleaner that you trust.
Good luck

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:39 AM

Microsoft doesn't advocate the use of msconfig, for controlling which programs run when your computer starts.

The startup tab in msconfig is handy for a quick look, but you do need something else
such as AutoRuns for a complete rundown.

Autoruns:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Registry cleaners are NOT recommended in these forums - they can cause more
problems than they solve.

#4 Rei Santino

Rei Santino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:15 AM

Thank you both for your replies. I ended up running Autoruns and deleted all of those unneeded entries. All done now.

Regards,
Rei

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users