Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chinese Simplified Fonts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Grokboyer

Grokboyer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:19 AM

Maybe this is so obvious that it's confusing me, but given that I only read English, is there any reason to install Chinese Simplified Fonts?

I mean, do some English documents and web pages need to display some special characters that can only be found in CSF, or is there just a lot of Chinese text out there, even in English docs?

Currently I'm just trying to load a normal PDF file, but it's telling me that in order to display everything, I need to install the CSF. The thing is, that in the past when I have gone ahead and loaded it, I still saw no Chinese characters. :thumbsup:

Help! This has been bugging me for months :flowers: , and I can't seem to find anything anywhere on the web that addresses the actual usage of these fonts and gives me a clue as to why I might want to, or need to install them.

Just seeking a little peace of mind. I hope someone out there has the scoop.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:22 AM

Are the PDF files received from a trusted source? Do you save them to the Desktop and Scan with your AV program? I really can't answer your questions...just want to throw out a word of caution. :-)

Rosie

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:28 AM

I find the hidden chinese fonts in pdf docs to act like a DRM. Blocking changing the page format or exporting on files that do not have any visible security set.

This blocks some ebooks I buy from being converted to use on my sony reader with a font big enough to read.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:30 AM

Generally speaking...if you go to a website located in a different part of the world which you hapen to live in...there's some probability that you may receive such messages.

I never install language fonts and have never found such necessary, since English is my native language and I'm not interested in trying to read something in anything other than English.

Louis

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

I don't speak Japanese but I go to Japanese websites daily and nead the language pack so the characters will display properly and I can translate them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users