Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP not working correctly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wdkoseck

wdkoseck

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:52 PM

I was sitting at my computer the other day and went to open the calculator to do some number crunching. When I opened the calculator it said that it did not know what program to open it with. I thought that this was unusual but pointed it to the calc.exe program and it opened.

I figured that I would re-boot my machine to clear thememory figuring that something went hay wire.

When I re-booted my machine IE won't load anymore, when I perform a search the search box does not appear - it seems like a file got corrupt.

I tried opening up the system restore console but it will not display any buttons so that I can restore to a previous checkpoint.

I have also ran the Norton 360 virus scan and notihing came up.

Is there any way to either restore to a previous checkpoint or try a repair on windows without having to re-load my os?

This is on a 8-9 year old gateway pc running windws XP SP2 with IE version 7.

I have a video card installed in my machine - do I need to re-configure my pc to use the onboard video card or will the card I have in continue to work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:12 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 wdkoseck

wdkoseck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:29 PM

It's a Gateway computer - I don't have the model at this time. I was looking for the information on Gateways site but can not find it anymore.

I want to say that it's maxed out at 512k RAM.

I can get the exact specs tomorrow if they are needed.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:07 AM

Tomorrow is fine, various models have varied systems of repair/restoration.

Louis

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:14 AM

Back up yer stuff NOW. :thumbsup:

Those are not the signs of a healthy system.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ndows-computer/

#6 bluebeard19352

bluebeard19352

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:35 AM

To start System Restore using the Command prompt, follow these steps:
Restart your computer, and then press and hold F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in safe mode with a Command prompt.
Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with a Command prompt option.
If you are prompted to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the appropriate operating system for your computer, and then press ENTER.
Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials.
At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to a functional state.
If you have not previously set a restore point in System Restore, you cannot restore your computer to a previous state

An alternative to the usual method of enabling and disabling Windows XP's System Restore feature is to use the registry. To use this alternative, perform the following steps: Start the registry editor (regedit.exe).

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore.
If a "DisableSR" value doesn't exist, go to the Edit menu, select New, DWORD value, and create the value.
Set the value to 1 to disable System Restore or 0 to enable System Restore.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sr to prevent the System Restore service from starting.

Double-click Start, and set the value to 4 to stop the service from starting or to 0 for normal startup. Close the registry editor

#7 wdkoseck

wdkoseck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:15 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

Model: Gateway 310

Ship Date: June 2004

Intel Pentium 4 2.80 GHz

0.99 GB RAM

Running Windows XP Edition Version 2002 - SP2

#8 wdkoseck

wdkoseck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:45 AM

To start System Restore using the Command prompt, follow these steps:
Restart your computer, and then press and hold F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in safe mode with a Command prompt.
Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with a Command prompt option.
If you are prompted to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the appropriate operating system for your computer, and then press ENTER.
Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials.

Thanks - I completely forgot about starting the PC in safe mode. :thumbsup:

That seems to have resolved the issue - I will know more when I have time to sit down and go through the programs. :flowers:

It appears as if my antivirus program may need to be uninstalled then reinstalled but that is an easy fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users