Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

located access point, but no internet

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 triple_j

triple_j

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:07 PM

I am trying to access a wireless router at work. I have all the pass codes and even went as far as to obtain the IP, subnet, gateway and dns address through another laptop. I am running windows 2000Pro (i know, a dinosaur) using a linksys wireless G adapter. I have used this laptop at my home which uses WEP authentication, and have had no problems. But when I try to access the internet using the router at work I get a "connected to access point, but not the internet" message. Just on a side note, I use this laptop at work because it has no valuable information on it. It's strictly for the internet and online poker. Anyway, any help anyone could give would be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

Does the work network use WEP or WPA ? Are you using DHCP or setting the parameters (IP address, mask, gateway, dns) manually ? How big is the network at work, a single access point or several ?

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:45 PM

What does the IT people at work say?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 triple_j

triple_j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:14 PM

My boss suggested I update my PC. <duh> There really is no IT per se at my work. I am really just looking for some insight as to why I cannot connect at to this router. It's a linksys router and as I said before, I have no problems accessing my wireless router at home which is secure or any other unsecured router. Could it possibly be a protocol problem? As I said, I am just looking for some insight...any ideas would be appreciated.

#5 triple_j

triple_j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:16 PM

Does the work network use WEP or WPA ? Are you using DHCP or setting the parameters (IP address, mask, gateway, dns) manually ? How big is the network at work, a single access point or several ?

The network here is very small using WEP authentication. I have tried both auto detect settings and entered the IP, mask, gateway, dns manually without any luck.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:10 PM

When you get the message "connected to access point, but not the internet", open a command prompt and type ipconfig /release, hit Enter then type ipconfig /renew and hit Enter. What is the IP address? It will display it if all is good.

Also try pinging, at a command prompt type ping google.com and ping 4.2.2.2 any packets go through?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 triple_j

triple_j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:02 PM

I tried both renewing IP address(DHCP server unreachable) and pinging both google.com (unkown host) and 4.2.2.2 (4 lost packets). Any other suggestions.

Edited by triple_j, 15 February 2010 - 11:21 PM.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:32 AM

It might be telling you that you are connected to the access point but you aren't. If you were your IP address would renew. So you are not authenticating to the router. That could be because the WEP pass phrase you are using is wrong or maybe the router was setup with MAC address filtering. Which would only allow the MAC addresses entered in to have access.

You'll need to find the person that set this up to help you with that issue or if your allowed connect to the router, surf in and check the settings.

#9 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:21 PM

WEP and WPA have very different modes of operation at connect time. Just because your system connects to a WEP router doesn't mean it can connect to a WPA router. Basically, WEP is checked before the connection is allowed to associate, while WPA allows the association then checks credentials before data is transferred. It sounds like your system may be trying to connect with WEP and the work router is talking WPA.

Windows 2000 does not have native support for WPA, or didn't the last time I checked (I must admit it has been a while since I've worked on a W2K machine..). That means the built-in wireless can't get you there, but the Linksys Wireless G might if Linksys provides the WPA driver code for W2K. (You didn't mention the model so I can't check.) You will have to make sure you use the Linksys software rather than the Windows built-in code.

There once was some third-party code from an outfit called WirelessSecurityCorp that would add WPA support, but they appear to be gone, swallowed by McAfee I think, and for a little while it was called WSC Guard, but the last mention I find of it is circa 2005. There was also the venerable, but expensive, AEGIS client software by Meetinghouse. No idea if it still exists either.

I'm thinking one of the lightweight Linux distros may be an appropriate solution for your situation if all the machine is doing is web surfing. Just a thought.

#10 triple_j

triple_j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:38 PM

Thanks Cavedweller2 and Orecomm for the info. I figured since I wasn't using the machine for anything else but the web, I would keep running Win2000 and all that turned out to be was more of a headache. Well the heck with it, I'm loadingh XP on the machine. Thanks to all for your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users