Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop overheating ONLY when running on AC power!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:04 PM

Oh, I could write a book on the overheating issues I've been having for the past month or so. I'll try to make it as brief as possible.

I do a lot of video conversion, and I never had a problem for the first year I had my laptop. About a month or so ago, though, the laptop began having an issue where it would just suddenly shut down during the video conversion process. The machine never once had this issue when doing anything else, though.

After a few days of this, I downloaded the program "SpeedFan" and had a look at the temps. I was in for a shock! When the laptop is doing nothing (basically just sitting on my desk, turned on, while I did other things), it was displaying temps between 50-65 degrees Celsius. When I tried to convert video files, the temp shot up to anywhere between 70-90 degrees Celsius. I understand that video conversion takes up a LOT of CPU power, but those temps are a bit much, all the same.

I bought a cooling pad. Didn't do much. Opened up the laptop and cleaned the fan and the heatsink. Again, didn't do much (there wasn't even that much dust there anyway; not nearly as much as I expected to find.)

A couple of nights ago, I was using the laptop in the kitchen instead of where I usually use it, and I didn't bother to plug it in -- just ran it off the battery. The minute I unplugged it, the temperature dropped from 56 Celsius down to 48. And it *kept* dropping, until it reached 32 degrees. It stayed between 30-40 degrees the entire time I was running it off of the battery, even when I dared to try a video conversion project. When I plugged the laptop back into the AC power supply, the temp immediately shot from 34 degrees up to 39, and kept climbing from there until it reached a high of 61 degrees, where it stayed.

I have noticed that the power supply on the AC adaptor is hot to the touch, and so -- in the absence of any other solution I can think of -- I am now wondering if there might be something wrong with the adaptor.

It might be worthwhile, too, for me to mention that before now, I have never run the laptop off the battery. It has *always* been plugged in. A friend of mine mentioned in passing that since I have never run the laptop without AC power, and have never removed the battery, the battery might be experiencing overcharging and it might be discharging the extra charge as surplus heat. Does this sound like something that might be happening? I've read online that some people remove their laptop batteries when they're running the machines on AC power, but...maybe I'm silly, but the idea of taking out the battery and just leaving that gap on the bottom of the machine kind of freaks me out.

If anyone has any suggestions at all, I would *really* appreciate it. Thanks!

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell Inspiron 5537
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:33 PM

Your power profile is likely different when running on battery vs running plugged in. Your CPU is clocked faster, hence more heat.

That being said, for a lappy, those temps are not out of line.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Actually, the cpu power management details are the same for AC power and battery power. (I checked that today.)

I would be more comfortable with the increased temperatures if they had been the values the laptop had displayed all along, but as I said...the increased temps and the overheating has only come up in the past month or so. There has to be *something* causing this to happen all of a sudden, at least in my mind.

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell Inspiron 5537
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users