Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:04 PM
Oh, I could write a book on the overheating issues I've been having for the past month or so. I'll try to make it as brief as possible.
I do a lot of video conversion, and I never had a problem for the first year I had my laptop. About a month or so ago, though, the laptop began having an issue where it would just suddenly shut down during the video conversion process. The machine never once had this issue when doing anything else, though.
After a few days of this, I downloaded the program "SpeedFan" and had a look at the temps. I was in for a shock! When the laptop is doing nothing (basically just sitting on my desk, turned on, while I did other things), it was displaying temps between 50-65 degrees Celsius. When I tried to convert video files, the temp shot up to anywhere between 70-90 degrees Celsius. I understand that video conversion takes up a LOT of CPU power, but those temps are a bit much, all the same.
I bought a cooling pad. Didn't do much. Opened up the laptop and cleaned the fan and the heatsink. Again, didn't do much (there wasn't even that much dust there anyway; not nearly as much as I expected to find.)
A couple of nights ago, I was using the laptop in the kitchen instead of where I usually use it, and I didn't bother to plug it in -- just ran it off the battery. The minute I unplugged it, the temperature dropped from 56 Celsius down to 48. And it *kept* dropping, until it reached 32 degrees. It stayed between 30-40 degrees the entire time I was running it off of the battery, even when I dared to try a video conversion project. When I plugged the laptop back into the AC power supply, the temp immediately shot from 34 degrees up to 39, and kept climbing from there until it reached a high of 61 degrees, where it stayed.
I have noticed that the power supply on the AC adaptor is hot to the touch, and so -- in the absence of any other solution I can think of -- I am now wondering if there might be something wrong with the adaptor.
It might be worthwhile, too, for me to mention that before now, I have never run the laptop off the battery. It has *always* been plugged in. A friend of mine mentioned in passing that since I have never run the laptop without AC power, and have never removed the battery, the battery might be experiencing overcharging and it might be discharging the extra charge as surplus heat. Does this sound like something that might be happening? I've read online that some people remove their laptop batteries when they're running the machines on AC power, but...maybe I'm silly, but the idea of taking out the battery and just leaving that gap on the bottom of the machine kind of freaks me out.
If anyone has any suggestions at all, I would *really* appreciate it. Thanks!
Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe
Dell Inspiron 5537
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit