Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restart Loop On A Netbook With No CD Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hacker_Evolux

Hacker_Evolux

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

I have an hp netbook nearly new and it keeps rebooting at startup i cant access system restore (f8, f11, f2, r, space bar, bios) all do nothing and i have no cd drive. Any suggestions? Also I was able to get into bios to be clear but the commands dont seem to be doing anything and nothing about system restore in the bios settings.I cant get into safe mode either it just takes me back to the black screen that says "If a previous startup attempt..." etc and then just keeps restarting. I dont use it that much and was gonna give it to my mom so i dont need the data I just want to restore it to factory settings.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:36 AM

model and part number?

A lot of ssd drives are failing on netbooks less than three years old.

See if you can buy an extended warranty from HP for less than the cost of a new netbook.

You can always plug in an external dvd/cd burner and configure it in bios to boot from that.

A linux live cd will allow you to see if the internal drive is accessible and if a recovery partition still exists.

f-10 or f-11 trigger the recovery partition on most HP's but your system docs should tell.

#3 Hacker_Evolux

Hacker_Evolux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:25 PM

Hp Mini 1000
p/n: NM123UA#ABA

and yea i have an extended warranty but i was hoping to use it as a last resort, this actually is a replacement of the same model that they gave me so it could be a hardware problem.

ill try booting from a external drive and ill let u know how it goes, i had planned to buy one anyway.

ill give linux a try also i herd ubantu can repair hp system files but iam kind of a winhacker so i never tried either one.

also tried f10 and every other possible button lol but no recovery console and no safe mode. ill let u know how it goes.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

model and part number?

A linux live cd will allow you to see if the internal drive is accessible and if a recovery partition still exists.

I would imagine that if it is telling you that a previous attempt at loading windows failed that that would mean the drive is operational.

I am guessing a corrupted boot.ini file could be the cause.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users