Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed a new CHIP FAN, and now computer won't boot.

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 TimRodvelt

TimRodvelt

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

I installed a new Chip Fan on ASUS motherboard today. (Had the message saying the fan chip speed was to low, and my CPU just kept looping the boot to windows, powering on and off), so I bought a new chip fan, this is a known problem with this motherboard, as they sent me two new design fans. I put one in, and now it runs great, quiet, and all the other fans turn on, but after it shows my specs on my monitor, I don't see anything, it's just black and sit there, no beeps or noises at all. I did take out my graphics card to get the fan in, but connected it back properly, so I don't see that being the problem, but maybe it is?

I didn't put any Thermal Compound on it, so I just went and bought some, my guess is the PC wasn't seeing the fan was working, so it was stopping the PC from trying to boot? So I put some of that on there, and still having hte same problem. I can get into my settings though.......BIOS and all, so one would think there is no MB issue right?

I am not super computer savy, so If you need anything, specs or anything let me know, I have it sitting in the BIOS menu right now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

HI Tim, from a fellow Asus motherboard owner! (My MB info below in my signature.)
Can you tell us a little about the Asus motherboard you own?
This will help us at the BC community to be able to assist you better.

Thanks and :thumbsup: to BC!
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 TimRodvelt

TimRodvelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:37 PM

ASUS A8N-SLI I think that is what you are looking for, right?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:31 PM

Thats a start.
1) Processor info.
2) Video card info

Being you say there are NO beep codes, does the computer still sound like its booting?
I know the BIOS should be sending a single post BEEP to the system speaker. You're not hearing this either I take it?

This info is needed before we can go on with a solution to your problem.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 TimRodvelt

TimRodvelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:28 PM

My processor is an AMD Athlon 64

Vid Card NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB GDDR2, and right after it shows the BIOS screen, if i want to hit delete to get to it, it just sounds like it stops booting, but everything still runs, but runs at the same pace...

Power Supply - Hiper 580W

Edited by TimRodvelt, 09 February 2010 - 08:57 PM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:28 PM

Ok we are looking at the following.
A damaged CPU- over heating related.
A Video card slot problem----Try reseating that video card again-making sure its in all the way in across the socket.
A misconfiguration in the BIOS setup, related to the video card or processor.

Solutions to try.
Bootup go to your BIOS setup utility, look for the menu options on the screen, they are either at the bottom, or in a menu array on the side of your screen, depends who wrote the BIOS untility.
Choose the option to LOAD SYSTEM DEFAULTS or LOAD SETUP DEFAULTS, not sure how its worded in your BIOS, but it should be close to what I typed.
Type "Y" for yes if it asks if you want to load those defaults
Choose the F-10 key or choose SAVE and EXIT.

Let me know if this fixed your problem.

#7 TimRodvelt

TimRodvelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:38 PM

Nope, still the same problem! I tried the Video card, and no luck with it, same thing. WOuld there be any other tests to run?

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:03 PM

Ok, I know this one is going to be difficult to accomplish.
Try looking to see if the motherboard is being shorted out somewhere.
Some times those shims that are attached to expansion cards short out to the motherboard.
Make sure none of the screws or risers holding the motherboard in place are shorting to the board.
Without a video display, there's no way to run any tests.
You could try the card in another known working computer that supports it.
You could also try another known working video card in yours.

Before I give you too much homework to do, work with those.
Ya know, PC problems are like a Video game, the quest in this game is to learn more about how computers work.
I know it can be a pain, but we learn new things from these bothersome tasks.
Hang in there :thumbsup:

#9 TimRodvelt

TimRodvelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:42 PM

Finally got display to be working, seems boot up is hung up on the screen that says PCI Device listing. Lists Bus number Device number and so on...

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:00 PM

Ok, so is everything good at your end now?

#11 TimRodvelt

TimRodvelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:04 PM

No, the screen is hung up at the PCI listing screen, won't move from there

#12 TimRodvelt

TimRodvelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:12 AM

Just sits there at the black screen saying PCI Device Listing, and lists them, then just sits there like its not booting up windows...

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:11 AM

No, the screen is hung up at the PCI listing screen, won't move from there

Ok but did you do what I suggested about setting your BIOS to system defaults?

If so, what exactly do you have in your expansion slots?

I know we'll get past this problem, thats the fun part about trouble shooting, I look at it as a game...it helps not to get pissed off and not use the hammer! LOL

Plus your learning how to be a PC repair person for the next person who has a computer related issue like your having right now.

Any way now that I boosted your confidence a bit....if the BIOS defaults did not fix your problem..then go to the next line.

We're going to start a process of elimination here.

This will involve a lot of work, but might locate your problem.

Your going to strip down your computer a bit here and I ask that you please keep yourself grounded to the PC case at all times because a little bit of static electricity from your body will kill a computer instantly!

You are going to disconnect a lot of things, so make sure you keep track where they go and how they were connected. Make sure you make notes as to where pin #1 is on plug sockets.

The proceedure.

Disconnect the Power wire from the computers power supply.

Disconnect all power wires and ribbon wires to CDROM/DVD-ROM Drives.

If you have an add on sound card in an expansion slot, remove it from the board.

If you have any card readers attached to the board remove them.

If you have an Ethernet adaptor built into the motherboard, disconnect the DSL/Cable Modem/Router wire from Ethernet adaptor.

If you have an Ethernet add-on card in an expansion slot. Remove that card.

If you have an on-board Dial-up Modem or expansion card modem, remove phone wire from modem and remove add-on modem card.

Any USB devices that are NOT mouse or keyboard related, remove them from the USB ports. (includes webcams, cameras, printers or scanners)

Any devices that are in expansion slots that are not a VIDEO card remove them.

Disconnect all hard drives except for the primary bootable hard drive.

All you should have attached to the motherboard is the following when you are done.

The ATX power harness from your Power Sending Unit (Power Supply)

The main Primary Video card (if you have dual video setup or if you also have on-board video on MB) use on-board video ONLY--Remove AGP or PCI-E expansion card for now.

Memory depending on how many sticks you have, (((((limit it to ONE stick in slot #1 for now, remove the other sticks and set aside for now.)))))

One connection from Monitor. Make sure monitor is plugged into Video port.

One primary hard drive.

The mouse.

The Keyboard.

Look for and locate your CMOS battery, it is a silver disk, carefully remove the battery (note which way it goes back in)
Look for 3 jumper pins with a jumper on 2 of the 3 pins that says CLEAR CMOS next to it.
Move that jumper to the clear cmos position. Wait 5 minutes. Return the jumper back to default setting.
Replace the CMOS battery in correct position.

Reconnect the power wire back to the power supply (PSU)

Once you have done all of this, start up the computer, enter your BIOS setup utility either F2 or Delete key.

On your main bios setup screen make sure the hard drive is recognised.

Look for "load setup defaults" hi-lite it and hit enter or use the key shortcut it offers for that option it might be something like F5.

Also if you have "load system setup defaults" choose that option too.

Once each default is saved. Hit the F-10 key. This will ask SAVE SETTINGS TO CMOS AND EXIT ? TYPE Y for yes.

The system will now attempt to boot to drive C:\

Post back what the results are.

I will watch for your post.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 February 2010 - 07:19 PM.

#14 TimRodvelt

TimRodvelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:42 AM

Thanks for the help. I will do it right when I get home today from the Hospital, it will be about 3:30pm MST time or so!

#15 TimRodvelt

TimRodvelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:27 PM

Okay, tried it, and now when it gets to the PCI device page, I hear a beep, but not like a standard phone beep, it sounds like the hard drive maybe? THen the screen goes blank...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users