Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't load

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 topkartracer

topkartracer

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:36 PM

Hey everybody, I turned on my computer today and when it turned on I got a black screen saying windows failed to load and asked if I wanted to start in safe mode. I booted up windows normally, the load screen with the microsoft logo and the blue load bar come up for a second, then I get a blue screen for a second and it flashes back to the original black screen. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:39 PM

If the computer will boot into Safe Mode try running the Debugging Tools for Windows as described here:

How to receive help diagnosing Blue Screens and Windows crashes
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 topkartracer

topkartracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:42 PM

Just tried safe mode and it didn't work, should I try Safe Mode with Networking?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:57 PM

Yes, try Safe Mode with Networking.

If that doesn't work try this:

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 topkartracer

topkartracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:22 PM

Ok I ran it from the cd drive and the welcome screen didn't come up. I got the blue screen of death.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

What is the make and model number of your computer?

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 topkartracer

topkartracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

Powerspec b900

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

I think those computers have a RAID hard drive setup which is probably why you cannot access the recovery console.

Do you know if you can run a repair from the recovery partition?

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 topkartracer

topkartracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:46 PM

I'm not sure, I don't have a huge computer knowledge. I'm pretty sure you're right about the RAID hard drive.

#10 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:54 AM

Intel board. DG33TL
Should load a sata raid driver at the f6 prompt. Should then allow repair console access to raid subsystem.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/...b/CS-020811.htm

This may be the file you need but look carefully at the previous link for details common to all intel raid boards..
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...51&lang=eng

I have not used this particular board but the general concept seems right based on previous hair pulling/ MScursing sessions I have had with broken raid boot drives.

If you have changed anything about the bios settings for the sata mode, it can also bugger the raid. (watch out for "default" settings button)

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:58 AM

Hello, do you know if something out of the ordinary happened before this problem started?

We Need to Diagnose Your BlueScreen
  • When you boot your machine, press F8 to list the startup options, exactly as you would if you were trying to enter Safe Mode
  • Select "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure", as shown here:
    Posted Image
  • When your system BSODs, write down the STOP error code, as well as any written out error message back here. The STOP error will always appear, but the message may not. You are looking for this:
    Posted Image
Please post me the error(s).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users