Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD can't reach windows at all

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ck101

ck101

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hey guys, I have a bad case of the Blue screen of death. At first I was only receiving the registry error(0x00000051) when I attempted to boot safe mode. I eventually fixed that using a program called safekeyrepair or something like that. But now I get the bsod when trying to enter safe mode or normal windows.

So I decided screw it I'll try to use the directory recovery mode and just repair or reinstall. But that mode produces the same bsod. So then I tried using my windows xp cd from another computer and when that loads it says it can't find a hard drive, which is bs because I've run a hdd diagnostics program and it spent an hour scanning a hard drive I'm sure of it. The error I received from the diagnostics scan was Error code 0000: Read verification failed.

That's about all I can think of, can anyone help?! Thanks for looking!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:15 PM

Sounds like a failure of the file system or the drive itself, IMO.

The Read Verification Failed...pretty much says the drive cannot be read by the diagnostic.

Louis

#3 ck101

ck101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

Sounds like a failure of the file system or the drive itself, IMO.

The Read Verification Failed...pretty much says the drive cannot be read by the diagnostic.

Louis

Thanks so much for the reply. Sounds like it's more serious than I can handle.

I have it hooked up to a jump drive to see if I could use my windows xp disc to install windows xp on the flash drive so that I could just use the computer in the mean time. However it keeps attempting to boot from the C drive instead of the flash drive. Any idea how to fix this?

Again thanks for the reply.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:04 PM

You have to change the boot options in the BIOS...so that the optical drive is the first boot device...if you want to attempt to install files from the optical drive to the flash drive.

Installing XP On Flash Drive

Louis

#5 ck101

ck101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

You have to change the boot options in the BIOS...so that the optical drive is the first boot device...if you want to attempt to install files from the optical drive to the flash drive.

Installing XP On Flash Drive

Louis

Thanks a ton Louis!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users