Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wondering if System is Compatible

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Madel

Madel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

Hi all! I'm trying to gather some information for my boss about the computers we are currently using and how we might most cost effectively go about upgrading them (the closer to $0 the better...sigh). I am first just trying to find out if the machines are XP compatible since the software we have to use has not yet been updated for Vista or 7. With each computer I'm just including all of the information I have at my disposal...I'm not terribly good with computers but I figure too much information is better than not enough :thumbsup:

So the question: Are either of the following machines compatible with XP (and/or 7, really, but I suspect not):

FRONT COMPUTER (aka 1): Running Win98SE version 4.10.2222A on a GenuineIntel
X86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6
64 MB RAM
72% sys resources free
32-bit file system and virtual memory
Disk compression not installed
no PC card sockets installed
total capacity: 18.6GB

PRODUCTION COMPUTER (aka 2): All the same except...
67% sys resources free
36.2GB total capacity

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Madel, 08 February 2010 - 05:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:36 PM

That info is not very useful. Do the computers have name brands? (Dell sony ect..?)model numbers of service tags on the back?

64 m of ram is not enough for any computer doing anything useful.

Computers 10 times as fast and reliable can be bought from dell around 300.00
http://www.dell.com/outlet?dgc=ST&cid=...&lid=661198

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:40 PM

You might be able to upgrade the memory but the proccessor sounds like a pentium 3 which max out at 1 Ghz...if you can find one. In reality no amount of upgrading will make these viable machines for XP, they may be able to run it but it will be painfully slow. Recycle them and get some new ones.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users