Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet and spam help please

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 marpop

marpop

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:08 PM

Wasn't sure where to post this,hope it's the right spot.
For the past month I have been having problems with my wireless internet connection.I get online, and after a few minutes, when I try to move to another website,page, check, email,etc I get a message that says windows cannot connect and I click on the diagnose problem bar.Sometimes it says there is no problem, sometimes it resets the wireless adapter, sometimes there are other error messages.
This problem is happening on both laptops.Both run vista and the router is a netgear.

Sometimes the problem is manageable,sometimes I cannot get online at all, and sometimes it is fine.Most often I must continually open new browsers and hope I can get online.If I see a yellow triangle in the corner I know its hopeless.

My ISP was out and said the problem was in the router.When I plugged directly into the modem before they arrived, I had the same issues.Of course when the techs were here, everything ran and tested fine.

The other problem that I became aware of about 2 weeks ago(from my ISP) is spam is being generated at my service address.I was sent a list of occurrences and the start time coincides with my internet issues.My ISP said they are 2 different issues.But why are they?If someone is hijacking my service and sending spam, would not ever time I open a browser window the spammer try to take that open window to send its spam?
I do have firewalls and found no issues, no malware,etc.The most logical explantation to me is the spammer hijacking my browser when I open it.My ISP says this is not possible.

I did take both laptops to 2 other nearby places with wireless to make sure no issues with laptops.Worked perfectly there.

I am at a loss.I can replace the router but last time the ISP told me to do so, the issue was elsewhere and I could not return the router.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:04 PM

The first thing to do is a hard reset on the router and give it a new, strong password
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users