Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Pc Defender

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 LarimarRoses

LarimarRoses

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:28 PM

Hello!

I'm in a bit of a situation. I was on my boyfriend's computer last night (which is adequately protected, we've never had any problems before) on livejournal.com and pogo.com (nor have I had any problems with either website in the past) when Windows PC Defender downloaded and starting popping up on the screen. Now, I don't know how exactly it got past the firewall and antivirus protection, but in between me trying to alt+control+delete it to end the program, it starting making "critical changes" to registry keys. So, my boyfriend immediately shut off the computer and disconnected the internet.

Today I went to boot the computer in safe mode to see what I could do to remedy the situation- at least to see if we could go to a restore point. It asked me where I wanted to boot from, and I pressed ESC to boot from default. However, it never booted- didn't get the sign-in screen. Actually it kept looping back to "computer failed to start, could be due to recent software changes, boot in safe mode, safe mode with networking," etc. It continually did this when I tried to start windows normally, too. My boyfriend got aggravated and told me to turn off the computer before I could try "last known good configuration."

Obviously, I can't run any scanners if I can't boot. I was going to try a program written on a cd from a secure computer that detects malware/trojans/etc. and renames them so they can't execute. I did this a while ago on another computer when it wouldn't boot in safe mode and it hepled. Only thing is, I can't remember the name of the program and the disk I made is 1 1/2 years old. I swear it was Avast, but I looked for said program and couldn't find it.

Kindly, what should I do?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 08 February 2010 - 09:29 PM.
Move to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users