Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Pop-up Issues?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Mr.SadMan

Mr.SadMan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

Hey everyone, I seem to have contracted something that MalwareBytes can't get at. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I have something. I googled about the Gunggo.com & Jasmin Live Webcam pop ups I keep getting (I think that's right), and I found a post on this forum, I believe, that dealt with it, but it dated like 2007 and was about Smitfraudfix, but I don't think that program works on Vista.

I know some things about computers, I'm just not quite literate enough to understand whatever it is that HijackThis tries to tell me. I know that I'm denied access to:

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

As far as saving goes at least. HijackThis tells me that it can't access hosts, and that I should do it myself and delete lines and stuff, and then save it as 'hosts'. Well, I attempted to do so, and my computer said I don't have privileges to save files in there. It said I need to be an admin. That's why Hijack said it couldn't access the folder either, it had to be run in Administrator mode or whatever. Um. I am the administrator. And I have attempted to run Hijack in Admin Mode. But another error occurs.

An unexpected error has occurred at procedure:
modMain_FixOther1Item(sItem=O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost)
Error #58 - File Already Exists

Windows Version: Windows NT 6.00.1906
MSIE version: 8.0.6001.18882
HijackThis Version: 2.0.2

I don't use IE, I use Firefox. Also, there seems to be a lot of "%systemroot%" entries in Hijack, which makes me scared.

Oh, I had a bunch of trojans and stuff at one point, some weird start-up file thing (jdstart, I think it was called), and something that hijacked my desktop background setting (some KEY or something that can either be a 1 or a 0, and some viruses apparently change it), but I believe I murdered them all with MalwareBytes, or other programs. This was some time ago, couple months.

Programs I use/have running:

Spybot-SD Resident (the teatimer thing)
ClamWin Antivirus
AdAware
MalwareBytes
HijackThis

There's also a bunch of other "fix" type executables I have ran, for various things I thought I may have had, like an AVG thing for Virut, the smitfraudfix (which didn't work properly, I don't think) and probably other such things that I have forgotten.

Sorry this is such a long post :S
Um, I'm trying to double-check everything, because I don't want to waste people's time if this isn't an infection or anything.

I remember sometimes my computer would say it was clean (in MalwareBytes for example) then, when I scanned a couple days later, without doing anything but browsing the internet inbetween, it would tell me I had 1 trojan downloader. I believe it did that a couple times, though that hasn't happened recently.

I just googled the livejasmin pop-up, and apparently it's a tracking cookie, but I've cleaned all my temp files and caches and everything like that, and had programs that scrub it all out for me too. Could something be putting it back in there? I don't go to any underground, nefarious websites to my knowledge. But I do end up in random places due to StumbleUpon.

Anyway, I hope I'm not a hypochondriac and wasting people's time. Or maybe I do hope that, so my computer will actually turn out to be clean. :S

OMG as I finished writing this, firefox stopped responding, and eventually windows explorer did too. Task manager wouldn't come up, ctrl alt del didn't work, and any windows I tried to open (like Computer) didn't even load. Then it went black several times, and popped up a failure message about security options? I'm very concerned now and SO HAPPY firefox saved everything I wrote in here for when I rebooted. WOW. Go Firefox.

Oh, also, on startup, RoxWatchTray9.exe says the application failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found. I don't even know what these things are, unless it involves my blackberry.

(I know editing this will probably bump me back, and cause me to wait longer, but I figured it wouldn't make too much of a difference since I posted like 5 minutes ago. Anyway, it seems when my computer freaked out, it also set my time to military time, and now I can't make it go back.)

Edited by Mr.SadMan, 08 February 2010 - 02:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users