Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 update KB977074 breaks system stability

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:33 PM

I was just reading my daily news feeds and came across a story on Ars Technica that mentioned the January Reliability and Stability update for Windows 7 (KB977074) actually causing more stability and reliability problems then it solves. I went digging, and sure enough, there are multiple reports on the MS Technet forums about this update. In one case, the post marked as an answer by a MS moderator states to hide this update for the time being.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...3e-bcac1ac94e57

In some cases, the update will not install, randomly freezing upon restart after the initial install, never actually completing and forcing the computer to revert to before it was installed. In other cases, it causes some performance issues, like certain programs not shutting down properly and causing the system to fail to power down at shut down.

So in short, if you haven't installed this one yet, you may want to refrain from doing it until a new reliability and stability update is issued from MS.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

It installed fine on my Win 7, I wonder what the problem/conflict is?

Posted Image

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

I don't know, and I don't think anyone does yet. Looks like it's a shot in the dark as to what is the trouble. I hadn't installed it yet, and decided against it for now. It seems many have installed it without having any adverse effects, but who knows. I like my system stable and reliable, thank you so I'll pass on it till the next one. :huh:
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:14 PM

Mine succeeded, as well. No problems. Keep in mind, it's always a good idea to keep a fully patched system. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

Keep in mind, it's always a good idea to keep a fully patched system. :huh:

For security updates, I totally agree. But I am not of the opinion that you should install an update just because it's available. Especially when we're talking "Reliability and Stability" updates. I tend to subscribe to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality in those cases. But all in all, the best way to handle those updates is to research them and what they are for/what they do before installing. Which is also why I don't subscribe to the "always auto update everything" mentality either.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:50 PM

Considering the files being updated are winlogon.exe and explorer.exe, a messed update may cause problems. But I updated and no problems :huh:

#7 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:11 PM

I'm waiting for an update that resolves the crashing explorer.exe. I've given up on hunting the problem down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users