Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A caution in dealing with "Internet Security 2010" virus

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 paul1149

paul1149

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:05 AM

I found the instructions at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...t-security-2010 to be very helpful in dealing with a friend's virus problem. But the problem arose that she had AVG's Resident Shield running at the time she executed the rkill.com cleanup utility. Consequently, RS flagged every change that rkill effected, and evidently dealt with them very heavy-handedly.

Some of the viruses much have been attached to basic Windows processes, and in quarantining the viruses those processes were removed as well. As a result, her computer now lacks basic functions such as PCP-IP, and among other things, cannot go online. It remains to be seen if AVG has eliminated these things permanently or if they can be resurrected and then the rkill process repeated, sans Resident Shield, for a more precise and benign kill operation. If worse comes to worse, I think a Windows Recovery disk might selectively restore the missing functions.

So I would caution people to disable resident virus protection when performing these kinds of cleaning tasks. That's probably very rudimentary, but it was beyond them and it escaped me and we were doing this over the phone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users