Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Freezes when a new window is opened.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lab rat

lab rat

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:56 AM

I've been having some problems with my operator system freezing when a new window is opened.

I've been experiencing this problem for a while but with Win. 98 and as the system was over 6 years old, I decided to have an all round upgrade of the machine and software.

I am one of these types of people who doesn't understand computers so have had some help upgrading the system from a relative who does.

I have had a new motherboard, memory, processor (bought as a pre made bundle) and hard drive installed and have installed Win XP, and used my old cd rom, cd burner, and graphics card from my old system.

The first problem we encountered was it wasn't allowing us to partition the hard drive as we had done with the old 98, so my relative installed 98 to partition the hard drive, then installed XP from there.

XP is all up and running now but after it has opened 1 or 2 windows it freezes, and completely locks out.

has anyone any ideas as to why it is doing this? or where we may have gone wrong on the install.

any help or advice greatly appreciated as I'm starting to loose faith in our abilities to do this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 01 September 2005 - 03:11 AM

If 98 was installed and then XP installed on to it as an upgrade, that could be the cause of your problem. When you add an operating system to an existing one (ie an upgrade) that can introduce all kinds of problems. You will have much better stability if you install xp on to an empty partition with no files or other operating system on it. Plus you must ensure that any devices (graphics card, printer, sound etc.) are all using drivers which are xp compatible. XP has a very wide range of device drivers which install automatically during setup if it detects a device which matches it's database. Such devices will work straight away after setup has finished, but for any devices which need external drivers just make sure they are xp compatible --- you can ignore any warnings Windows might give you about a driver not having passed quality testing -- just click 'install anyway'. But I'm convinced the way to go is to repeat xp setup using an empty partition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users