Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-Spyware Coalition

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:46 AM

All of our troubles are over :thumbsup: EULA's

Microsoft, McAfee, EarthLink and Hewlett-Packard have formed an Anti-Spyware Coalition, under the direction of the Dept of Homeland Security, and their much anticipated draft agreement is available for public review for thirty days. Entitled Spyware Definitions and Supporting Documents, it proposes that all software vendors disclose the use of spyware in their “EULA” (End User License Agreement). Even if this much needed draft agreement is passed, the bigger problem will be getting users to read the fine print before downloading or installing new programs.

I wish they would do a little more thinking on this one. I have come across so pretty long EULA's and to tell you the truth, they make me a little dizzy.

For more on the laws at hand, visit http://www.micaspecialties.org/internetlaw.htm

:flowers:

Sorry John, I did not know about the earlier thread.

I will try to look a little harder brfore submitting! I was working on this subject last month for my website, never finished it, and then found it on my hard drive a few days ago. I thought it was worth the posting. I found Temerc's posting over at ASAP a few minutes ago, and now understand that this subject has been covered.

My take on this subject is unique and is my original work. I hate EULAs and do not feel they will solve this problem.

Thanks for the heads up!

:trumpet:

Edited by micaman, 02 September 2005 - 01:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:30 AM

For those interested, see the earlier thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Coa...are-t24418.html

Hopefully, their work will yield more precision in the definition of spyware, which will benefit all users.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users