Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

46 pages of entries!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 trellis145

trellis145

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:15 AM

Hello and thank you in advance for your help.
My desktop has a whopping 46 PAGES of startup entries! How do i comb through all this, and is this normal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:07 AM

That sounds almost unbelievable. Are there a lot of duplicates?
There is no easy way to determine what is what. It will take some detective work

You can use Process Explorer to see what is actually running during Startup
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx
To make it somewhat easier turning off the processes, use a startup manager
Codestuff Starter is an easy to understand one
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Starter.html
You have scanned thoroughly for infections, correct?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:24 PM

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Upload the file here: http://uploadmb.com/
Post download link.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 trellis145

trellis145
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for having a look at this! Here's the whole monster:

http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1265686265

BTW the autoruns program was not zipped, if that means anything to you. I simply ran it. Last time I downloaded it.

As to the question of if I have run anti virus, I have McAfee and Spybot, both of them completely up to date as of today.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:40 PM

Now, you have to answer a question :thumbsup:
Where did you find this info:

My desktop has a whopping 46 PAGES of startup entries

According to Autoruns, these are your startups:

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit" "" "" ""
+ "C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe" "Userinit Logon Application" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe"
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell" "" "" ""
+ "explorer.exe" "Windows Explorer" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\windows\explorer.exe"
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" "" "" ""
+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher" "Adobe Acrobat SpeedLauncher" "Adobe Systems Incorporated" "c:\program files\adobe\reader 9.0\reader\reader_sl.exe"
+ "Carbonite Backup" "Carbonite User Interface" "Carbonite, Inc." "c:\program files\carbonite\carbonite backup\carboniteui.exe"
+ "DellSupportCenter" "" "SupportSoft, Inc." "c:\program files\dell support center\bin\sprtcmd.exe"
+ "dscactivate" " " " " "c:\program files\dell support center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe"
X "EEventManager" "" "" "File not found: C:\Program Files\EPSON\Creativity Suite\Event Manager\EEventManager.exe"
+ "Google Desktop Search" "Google Desktop" "Google" "c:\program files\google\google desktop search\googledesktop.exe"
X "HotKeysCmds" "hkcmd Module" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\hkcmd.exe"
+ "IAAnotif" "Event Monitor User Notification Tool" "Intel Corporation" "c:\program files\intel\intel matrix storage manager\iaanotif.exe"
+ "IgfxTray" "igfxTray Module" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\igfxtray.exe"
+ "iTunesHelper" "iTunesHelper" "Apple Inc." "c:\program files\itunes\ituneshelper.exe"
+ "McAfee Managed Services Tray" "" "" "File not found: C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\Agent\StartMyAgtTry.Exe"
+ "mcagent_exe" "McAfee Integrated Security Platform" "McAfee, Inc." "c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe"
+ "McENUI" "EasyNetwork User Interface" "McAfee, Inc." "c:\program files\mcafee\mhn\mcenui.exe"
+ "MVS Splash" "" "" "File not found: C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\Agent\Splash.exe"
+ "PDVDDXSrv" "CyberLink PowerDVD Resident Program" "CyberLink Corp." "c:\program files\cyberlink\powerdvd dx\pdvddxsrv.exe"
+ "Persistence" "persistence Module" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\igfxpers.exe"
+ "QuickTime Task" "QuickTime Task" "Apple Inc." "c:\program files\quicktime\qttask.exe"
+ "RtHDVCpl" "HD Audio Control Panel" "Realtek Semiconductor" "c:\windows\rthdvcpl.exe"
+ "SMSTray" "SMSTray.exe" "SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS" "c:\program files\samsung\samsung media studio 5\smstray.exe"
+ "Windows Defender" "Windows Defender User Interface" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\windows defender\msascui.exe"
+ "WPCUMI" "Windows Parental Control Notifications" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\wpcumi.exe"
"C:\Users\Melissa\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" "" "" ""
+ "Nikon Monitor.lnk" "Nikon Transfer Monitor" "Nikon Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\nikon\monitor\nkmonitor.exe"
+ "OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk" "Microsoft Office OneNote Quick Launcher" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\microsoft office\office12\onenotem.exe"
"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" "" "" ""
+ "DellSupportCenter" "" "SupportSoft, Inc." "c:\program files\dell support center\bin\sprtcmd.exe"
+ "ISUSPM" "Macrovision Software Manager" "Macrovision Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\installshield\updateservice\isuspm.exe"
+ "msnmsgr" "Windows Live Messenger" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\windows live\messenger\msnmsgr.exe"
+ "SpybotSD TeaTimer" "System settings protector" "Safer Networking Limited" "c:\program files\spybot - search & destroy\teatimer.exe"
+ "swg" "GoogleToolbarNotifier" "Google Inc." "c:\program files\google\googletoolbarnotifier\googletoolbarnotifier.exe"

Give me a moment and I'll tell you, which ones you can safely disable.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:45 PM

Re-run Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab and UN-check following entries:

+ "DellSupportCenter"
+ "dscactivate"
+ "EEventManager"
+ "IgfxTray"
+ "iTunesHelper"
+ "PDVDDXSrv"
+ "Persistence"
+ "Nikon Monitor.lnk"
+ "DellSupportCenter"
+ "ISUSPM"
+ "msnmsgr"

Exit Autoruns and restart computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 trellis145

trellis145
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:49 PM

I just ran autoruns.exe and this huge list came up, with all the boxes checked... I didn't convert it to text when I was looking at it -- apparently I wasn't using this correctly?

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:56 PM

Yeah, that huge list shows all kind of stuff about your computer, but what you really care for are things listed at "Logon" tab.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 trellis145

trellis145
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:04 PM

Ah. So I have done as suggested. I'd like to get rid of more unnecessary files and programs, but I can't really tell what is what. Also -- my D drive (back up) is full. How do I deal with this issue? I tried the windows cleanup thing, didn't clean up anything! i did remove all but the most recent restore point. I have a daily back up off site through Carbonite, if that makes a difference with what to do about the D drive. Thank you so much!

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:15 PM

What kind of backup do you have on D drive?
You sure, it's not recovery partition?
What's the size/free space on C and D?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 trellis145

trellis145
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:22 PM

D drive -- I don't know what kind of backup it is. It's called "recovery" Tin the place where C drive is called OS. Is that enough info?
Size/space: C is 53 free of 138 GB
D (recovery) is 3.5 MB of 9.99 GB

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:31 PM

It's called "recovery"

Don't touch that drive ever.
This is your recovery partition.
In case, something really bad happens with your computer, you use that drive to restore your computer to its original state.
That drive is off limit.

53GB out of 138 sounds OK. Just make sure, your free space doesn't fall below 15% - 20GB in your case.
You can surely uninstall some programs, you don't use.
Also...

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 trellis145

trellis145
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:55 PM

Is it weird that I keep being told that the D drive is almsot full?
I downloaded and ran TFC and it was whizzing along fine until it got stuck on the 3rd user (me). It was hung up for so long I closed it down and restarted the computer. Should I just run it again?

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:04 AM

When running TFC, make sure, all other programs are closed and you leave computer alone.
Try again. If any problems, here is an alternative:

Download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Unselect Cookies.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox browser
Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Unselect Cookies.

If you use Opera browser
Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Unselect Cookies.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

As for D drive, WHEN are you getting those messages. Have you ever used that drive to store any files?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 trellis145

trellis145
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:11 AM

I've never used the D drive for storing anything. I get that message popping up at random times, but frequently. Is it normal to be at 9.99 of 10GB? On the TFC issue, I ran it again, same thing seemed to happen, but maybe it is just finished with it's cleaning? Both times I tried to scroll up where it said how many files had been cleaned, etc, and that's when it got hung up. Maybe there's a bug in it. Maybe it was finished. If it worked, would I see a noticeable change in the amount of available disk space? BTW, as I write, the message came up and faded away, that D Recovery is running out of disk space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users