Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Run System Recovery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bleve

Bleve

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:01 AM

Have been having trouble with my computer lately. She's a Compaq about 6-7 years old. System information was telling me that I only had 2GB of free space left. I deleted a bunch of stuff and it only freed it up to 5GB. So I figured I'd back up everything and do a system recovery. Now I get the message that the registry can't load the hive file:

\System Root\System 32\Config\Security

And it tells me that it's corrupted. absent or not writeable.

I've tried searching the net for solutions, but they all include reinstalling Windows with the disk. My computer didn't come with one. I even tried a suggestion of running WINNT32.exe, but I get an error that my current version of Windows is too new.

I've read quite a bit of articles the last few days and am tired of articles that are way too technical (I require the Complete Idiot's Guide version), or tells me to use my Windows disk. Is there any way out of this? I thought I was somewhat computer savvy until I slammed my head into this wall. Now I don't know what to do, except ask you guys.

I really want to do a System Recovery because I bought a new printer and the software is telling me that something from the previous printer is still on my computer. I've searched, used Add/Remove and HP's AIOscrubber with no luck.

Thanks.

Edited by Bleve, 08 February 2010 - 07:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:04 AM

The standard attempt at fixing, Corrupted Registry, Config.sys Missing or Corrupt - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545.

But...note the Warning section. Compaqs are included in the group of OEM systems.

You seem to have two options:

a. Attempt a system recovery/restore, using the procedures advised by Compaq for your system.

b. Borrow an XP CD (same version as you have installed) and attempt the procedures in the MS link, in spite of the warning...or attempt a repair install of XP with said CD.

You can actually download the Recovery Console (XP) referred to in the MS link and attempt the procedure without an XP CD.

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

Louis

#3 Bleve

Bleve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:27 AM

Thanks, I'll give it a spin.

BTW, what's the OEM thingy about?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:24 AM

OEM, as used by Microsoft in its pronouncements...refers to systems which are not built by individuals for themselves or others and are made by corporations (e.g., Dell, HP, eMachines, etc.) and sold at retail to consumers.

What's the difference? Primarily, support considerations and responsibilities.

Such corporations/entities assume full responsibility for support of sold systems...whereas individual builders (such as myself) assume full responsibility for support of self-built systems, including the installation of the operating system, repair procedures/possibilities, drivers and such.

Those who self-build will buy/install a Microsoft Genuine XP CD to install on individual systems, while those who buy HPs, Dells, etc. may not necessarily even have a CD for repair/reinstallations purposes...depending on the policies of the entity selling the system.

Microsoft does not...cannot...develop procedures which apply to such OEM systems, since the users may not even have the Genuine XP CD on which many repairs and all Microsoft reinstall procedures are based.

Each individual "boxmaker" (Dell, Gateway, etc.) is responsible for developing/implementing its own procedures for repair/recovery/reinstallation...and the purchasers/users of these systems are responsible for implementation of these procedures, in accordance with their purchase agreements.

In short...procedures devised for use of a MS Genuine XP CD...may not work on systems which are sold by Toshiba, IBM, etc. since none of those companies are bound to give users an actual MS Genuine XP CD.

That's why so many users today are somewhat limited in what they can try to repair their systems.

The Age of Restore/Recovery CDs/Partitions...limits the application of what may be normal repair/reinstallation procedures as such are generally expressed in pronouncements by Microsoft and others.

Louis

Sample, Gateway Policy

Edited by hamluis, 09 February 2010 - 10:42 AM.

#5 Bleve

Bleve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:48 PM

Now it's telling me that perc2.sys is corrupted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users