Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start-up, desktop, IE, task manager issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stickleyc

stickleyc

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 31 August 2005 - 11:30 PM

Sorry if this ends up long. Iíll try to be concise.

Toshiba P35-S609 laptop. Problems started shortly after purchase 4 months ago.
Problems donít occur all the time but definitely in waves: will work fine for a week or so and then have problem every time.

Problems: in order or occurrence.

Start-up: Toshiba screen will appear. LOUD RAPID BEEPING and start-up will not proceed past this point unless I: push escape or go through F2 or F12 menus.

Screen to choose profile comes up: sometimes internal touchpad mouse wonít work and mouse arrow if frozenÖbut external USB mouse will still work.

Desktop comes up: desktop icons all flicker rapidly. Again, this will stop for the time being if I push escape.

Open Internet Explorer: page comes up. Attempt to type in address bar (or do something on the page) and page will automatically reload repeatedly. Again, I can gain some temporary control over this with pushing escape. If a page is in the middle of loading the problem occurs, the status bar at the bottom will just flicker with the address and not load. Escape and then refresh will fix it until the next episode

Open Task Manager: when problem starts to occur again, the processes that are actually open programs and the system idle process will start going crazy in their CPU column and the performance (CPU usage history) graph will go up to 100% and start scrolling at a huge speed. Again, pushing escape stops it for the time being.

Which ever window is active at the time the problem starts, the above thing will happen. While the problem is occurring, before I push escape, if I click to another window, that program will start responding erratically and the other one will go back to normal.

This erratic behavior generally is in waves: occurring every few seconds for a few minutes and then may go away for 10-20 minutes and then come back. (Iíve about worn out my escape button).

This also has started to happen in MS Office programs where Iíll be typing and a random window will appear (like using Word and the ďsearchĒ window appears) and will only disappear using Escape.

I have virus searched repeatedly, tried several spyware programs, done system restores until Iím blue in the face (I thought at one point the problem was attached to an auto-update that downloaded Software Distribution Service 2.0 but I donít thing so anymore). Searched for definitions of almost every process thatís running on my computer. Probably some other things I canít remember.

Before I take it in to get looked at (since I canít be without my computer for very long job-wise) I figured Iíd see if anyone has any ideas.

Cris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:26 AM

If you have not done so, back up your important files in a hurry! Since the computer is so new, I would call 1-800-457-7777 and have the toshiba techs talk me through the recovery cd. I am assuming windows came installed and you have the cd available. Also have your serial number ready. Good luck!
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users