Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Theme Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dan8402

dan8402

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:40 PM

I was trying to change the theme on Firefox and I changed it to one which ended up being all text, and basically is a terrible theme. I tried to change it, while in the browser by going to tools and then themes, but all that comes up is a black window with no options (such as downloads, themes, etc...). Because of this, I have no clue how to get rid of this theme any change it to one that isn't terrible. Anyone have any ideas? It seems like it should be a quick fix, but I just can't figure it out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2005 - 11:31 PM

Try loading a NEW theme; if that does not work then you could download a new one and copy it into the file: "userChrome.css" in the Profile folder, then delete the current one.
Cheers,
John

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 dan8402

dan8402
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:10 AM

I have tried loading a new theme, but when downloading one, I cannot change it from the browser because of the black drop down menu that I'm getting. As to putting a new theme in the userchrome.css file, how would I do that? Would I put the file in, its contents, and how would I do that? Last of all, I don't see any existing theme in the file to delete. If I could find that theme and delete it, I think I would be fine, or at least find a way to revert to the default theme.

#4 dan8402

dan8402
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 04:49 PM

I think I figured it out now, thanks for the help.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 05:30 PM

Hey! Let us know what you figured out, and whether it works or not. I am sure other members may, at some time, have this or a very similar problem, and your posting the solution would help them. Give yourself a pat on the back for solving the problem!
Thanks
John

Edited by jgweed, 01 September 2005 - 05:31 PM.

#6 dan8402

dan8402
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 08:28 PM

I used the update function to update the existing themes that I had. One of them just happened to need to be updated, and the update button was the only one that worked under tools-> themes (which I had to get to by luck since it was blacked out). So, I updated the theme and was able to switch to the newly updated theme. It was just a case of trying everything and getting lucky. It just happened to work.

#7 Platypus222

Platypus222

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:26 PM

I had the exact same problem, so I'll give mine:
I updated to the 1.5.1 beta version from the 1.0.6 version, but my Noia 2.0 lite theme was incompatible, so I tried uploading a new version of the theme, which did not work. So, I redownloaded the 1.0.6 version and "downgraded." It was using the default theme, so I switched it to the Noia one. Then, it went all black and lame like dan8402 described.
Eventually, I used IE to redownload the beta version and re-updated it. It worked with this, so I found a theme that was compatible with the beta version and downloaded it. I then re-downgraded to 1.0.6. It was using the default theme again for some reason. I then went into the themes and DELETED the Noia one and went and redownloaded it. This finally did work. I'm not sure if it's only these specific circumstances that do this, but I'm sure you can adapt.

I hope that this helps anyone who has the same problem.

-Platypus Man

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:08 PM

Most themes are version-specific. It might be a smart move to check to make sure you favourite theme has been updated before downloading a new Version. Many themes are NOT updated for Beta releases, too.

All this may very well change when the Mozilla folks roll out their next releases in which you can update without installing a completely new version.

Regards,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users