Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drivers in Device Manager Corrupt or Missing..

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Raener

Raener

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:16 PM

Hi there B%@?pingComputer people,

Okay here's the issue:

Started with trying to install a PlayStation 3 Controller to my system using some drivers that didn't work and in-turn they ended up corrupting my drivers.

The reboot after installing the dodgey PS3 controller drivers left me locked out of my PC at the welcome logon screen as USB drivers had been corrupted as well as others. Locked out meaning: Mouse and Keyboard frozen, no input or response at all. Safe mode didn't affect it one bit. No benefits booting in that mode.

The temporary work-around has been to use a keyboard with a PS/2 connector as this doesn't use USB drivers, I was able to login to my computer and start assessing the damage.

So the immediate look is, windows classic theme and the only control I have is a 15 year old keyboard to navigate. I've managed to take a screenshot of the corrupt/missing drivers.

Posted Image

Error log: Click here to download.

I know this not to have been a virus as I've scanned my system with no results and the heuristics of Eset's NOD32 would of picked it up in the first place. I've uninstalled the drivers that came with the PS3 driver and all softwares to do with it. The Parallel Port Joystick Enumerator in the image is now uninstalled as well. This driver was most likely the cause of the mess-up I think.

The drivers with the yellow caution symbols can't be reinstalled buy my efforts so far. I've uninstalled them and rebooted/tried reinstalling them. When I press Scan for Hardware Changes after deleting them, the system just put them back with the same yellow caution markings. I've also downloaded the drivers from an external sources making sure to get the same ones. Installing them always fails and they're meant for Win7 x64. They all return TV_ConfigmgrErr48 or ..mgrErr39.

The internet is also down. When I go to configure my network, it says it detects networks but I can't join as no LAN adapters or wireless ones are installed or show. The Marvell and Realtek in the picture are corrupt.

I've tried doing Command Prompt as an Admin then typing SFC /scannow but access to the log file is denied. So that's not much use.

If I missed anything I also opened a Yahoo! Answers question but got little help. Attempted both suggestions without any luck.

Any help would be appreciated, it's sending me loopy.. been scratching my head for some days now.

Thanks! :huh:

Edited by Raener, 07 February 2010 - 08:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:40 AM

Have you tried System restore? Here's a howto on using it;
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows.../system-restore

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:55 PM

You did not tell us what operating system you are using. (Edit): I'm assuming windows 7 But which version?)
Also did your system come with a disk which has the motherboards drivers and utilities?

Do you have the operating system on an installation disk?

Let us know so we can assist you better. :huh:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 08 February 2010 - 01:00 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Raener

Raener
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

Windows Restore was my first action. No restore point was set so that option won't help.

I did mention briefly Windows 7 x64. My system is custom built. I have a Win7 installation disk. I've tried repairing using the Auto Repair functions but they don't help either. I'll have a look if I have a disk that came with my Motherboard but I don't see how it'll help as the drivers will fail when installing. Plus. I'd have to install them through DOS as the CDROM drivers inside the broken OS are corrupt. Meaning no CDROM access.

Can't believe how messy this situation is. Cant uninstall, delete or reinstall any drivers what-so-ever. Argh!

#5 Raener

Raener
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:43 PM

Now I can't seem to access my broken OS. Every time I boot into it it takes me to a repair page and tries to auto repair but doesn't fix anything. Next boot, it does the same and doesn't matter which mode I'm in: Safe or Normal.

#6 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:03 PM

Looks like you're faced with an reinstall of Windows 7. Maybe someone else will have a better solution for your problem, but a reinstall is what I would do at this point. Sorry.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:29 PM

Windows Restore was my first action. No restore point was set so that option won't help.

I did mention briefly Windows 7 x64. My system is custom built. I have a Win7 installation disk. I've tried repairing using the Auto Repair functions but they don't help either. I'll have a look if I have a disk that came with my Motherboard but I don't see how it'll help as the drivers will fail when installing. Plus. I'd have to install them through DOS as the CDROM drivers inside the broken OS are corrupt. Meaning no CDROM access.

Can't believe how messy this situation is. Cant uninstall, delete or reinstall any drivers what-so-ever. Argh!

OK, all is not lost, don't panic.
Here is what you do.
If you have a genuine windows 7 disk, do the following. (note if your copy of windows is on a OEM system recovery disk, these instructions do not apply)

Put the windows 7 dvd into your optical dvd device.
If it auto plays, exit it.
Restart your computer.
At bootup look for the words (To enter BIOS setup hit........it's either the F2 key or the DELETE key.
Go to your computers BIOS setup utility.
Look for the BIOS boot menu.
Check and make sure the DVD-ROM device your going to put the Windows 7 disk into is the first BOOT DEVICE.
Make sure your hard drive is set as boot device #2
Save and exit the BIOS setup untility the computer should now reboot and hopefully it will boot from the Windows 7 installation disk.
If it does, it will state "loading files needed to start your computer" or something like that.
Once it is done, it should gave you two options, the one you want is REPAIR.
It will ask which copy of windows you want to repair.
Unless you have another copy of windows on this computer, it should list only windows 7 x64.
This is where it gets tricky, if you choose the wrong option, you could wipe your hard drive and start with a clean install, which would wipe all your files from the hard drive, the other option only re-installs windows 7 over the origional copy, but does NOT remove your personal files, folders, or programs, it only repairs window 7's files back to their origional state.
Let the repair complete, once it is done. remove the windows 7 dvd. reboot, Windows 7 will now boot from the hard drive. All your files and folders should still be intact.
If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Edit: I have not used this option with Windows 7 yet, but I know when you hold the F8 key at bootup to boot into windows safemode, I have seen a repair option in the list of options, but I am not familar with what this repair option does as of yet because thankfully, I have not had to use it....yet.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 09 February 2010 - 12:37 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users