Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer is out of commission right now


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ladebac

ladebac

  • Members
  • 25 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:36 PM

Basically, my computer won't even boot up right now. Each time I log in, the computer screen stays blank for a few minutes and then it logs me out. Each time I try to log in afterwards it logs me out immediately. I tried booting it in safe mode to no avail. It does the same as in normal mode. It also won't boot up on the last known good configuration. I think I may be infected with a virus. I don't know if there is anyway I could be helped by this forum because there is no way for me to give you a log of what's wrong but I am giving it a try anyway. Let me know your thoughts on my issue. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 whiteac2k4

whiteac2k4

  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:22 PM

Sounds to me that maybe you have some corruption. Do you have a XP disk handy? If so put it in the cd rom. Restart machine, tap f12 then select boot from cd, if you dont have this option, you can enter the BIOS by tapping f2 instead. Go to boot options. or boot order and raise the cdrom to be the first boot device. After you have booted the machine from CD, enter the recovery console. Once you are at the command prompt( C:\ ) type Chkdsk /r then press enter. Let it run and see if it finds any bad sectors. Next do the same thing and type sfc /scannow then press enter. IF neither of these fix the issue, my guess is you Winlogon.exe is corrupted by whatever. You can manually replace it with a fresh copy from the disk. Before you do that you could select the repair windows option before entering the recovery console. Me personally I would take the drive out slave it to another machine, run Norton Ghost and create a backup image. Slap that old HD back into the messed up machine and reinstall windows, then replace the data needed. To me it makes more sense less time scanning trying all these fixes, and you got a fresh install. :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :thumbsup:

#3 whiteac2k4

whiteac2k4

  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:24 PM

Btw when replacing the Winlogon.exe i have found that 60% of the time it works great, but the other 40% it seems to work fine, but weird things like Word and printer and faxes control panel etc seem to crash or act goofy. I dont know.
Also you could go a step further usually the Gina.dll file can be replaced with its friends but the again the hassle for a novice and the difficulty, out weighs its potential benefits.

Edited by whiteac2k4, 07 February 2010 - 07:26 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users