Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to start fresh with an old computer?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Computer Crisis

Computer Crisis

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:29 PM

I have a spare computer which I would like to erase everything off of and re-install Windows XP, but theres a problem. I dont have a Windows XP Installation Disc. Do I need one? Also, How do I delete everything out of the computer to start fresh? I'm sorry if I left out some information needed, This is my first visit to this site. Thanks ahead of time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:31 PM

How were you going to install Windows XP without a CD?

Windows XP has all the nessesary tools to format, partition, & install.
You will need to purchase a Windows XP CD, Windows EULA (End Users License Agreement) states you can only install 1 copy of any Windows operating system on 1 computer without purchasing extra licenses (key codes).

#3 Computer Crisis

Computer Crisis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2005 - 11:37 PM

I have the CD key, just not the CD.

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2005 - 11:55 PM

Youll need to purchase a new cd, heres a handy guide for starting new though.

Format Your Computer

#5 Computer Crisis

Computer Crisis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2005 - 11:59 PM

Thanks a bunch.

#6 Computer Crisis

Computer Crisis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:02 AM

Sorri if I am aggravating you guys, but how do I save Drivers and anything else I need for after I format.

#7 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:18 AM

You are not aggravating us.

If you have the Key Code that is on the side of the computer it is more then likely the OEM (original equipment manufacture) License and is only good with the Original OEM operating system.

As for the drivers for your hardware Windows XP has a very large Driver Cache and will more then likely have all the necessary drivers for your hardware. If you have any special hardware devices you use that XP does not have drivers for then you can visit the manufactures website and find drivers.
There is no real way to backup the drivers.
When doing a operating system install it is always best to unplug everything but the Keyboard, Mouse, & Monitor.

Windows XP Clean Install (Interactive Setup)
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

Clean Install Windows XP
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

#8 Computer Crisis

Computer Crisis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 03:02 PM

Thanks a lot to everyone for your help, I'll let you know how it turns out.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 03:16 PM

How what turns out?

If you are going to try to load an image of the op system from another computer and/or reuse the Win XP key code that has ever been authenticated on another system you will wind up with an inoperable op system. It will not validate and XP will time out and shut down after a short period of time.

From Microsoft:
Product Activation works by verifying that a software program's product key has not been used on more personal computers than intended by the software's license. You must use the product key in order to install the software and then it is transformed into an installation ID number. You use an activation wizard to provide the installation ID number to Microsoft either through a secure transfer over the Internet, or by telephone. A confirmation ID is sent back to your machine to activate your product.

The installation ID number includes an encrypted form of the product ID and a hardware hash, or checksum. No personally identifying data is included or required. The confirmation ID is simply an unlocking code for the Windows XP installation on that particular PC.

If you overhaul your computer by replacing a substantial number of hardware components, it may appear to be a different PC. You may have to reactivate Windows XP. If this should occur, you can call the telephone number displayed on the activation screen to reactivate the software.
Top of pageTop of page
Activate Windows XP Right Away

If you have not activated Windows XP, you will be reminded each time you log in and at common intervals until the end of the activation grace period of 30 days. If you have not activated Windows XP within this timeframe, you will need to do so to continue using it.

If you choose to activate your product over the Internet, upon your submission the activation wizard will detect your Internet connection and connect to a secure server to transfer your installation ID to Microsoft. A confirmation ID is passed back to your computer, automatically activating Windows XP. This process normally takes just a few seconds to complete. No personally identifiable information is required to activate Windows XP.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluat...activation.mspx

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 September 2005 - 03:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users