Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP - (3) problems, may be related

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 billder99

billder99

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:47 PM

Hi,

A mixed-bag of three (3) separate issues, all may be related or perhaps not, hope someone can help with any or all issue.

Background: A week ago due to an apparent virus (very bad, grew and grew until it stopped my system completely) I finally ran a complete System Restore on my Lenovo 3000 N200 using the Lenovo Care restore function. Most everything is now working again, but a couple of things I cannot figure out, killing my system with unbearable slowness.

Here is a list of the issues, and the actions I have taken (after reading through Bleepingcomputer forum and other forums):
1. Windows Installer – Runs every time I start any application, or any browser, or open a new webpage from within any browser… very, very slow, but I can finally shut it down… pop-up installer window says “Windows Installer, Preparing to Install…”. /// Actions I have taken:
a. Downloaded and installed most current version of Windows Installer from MS, v4.5 (for XP with SP2&3), reboot… no change
b. Went to AdminTools/Services/Windows Installer, dbl click and “STOP” process… no change
c. Downloaded and ran “Windows Installer Cleanup Utility”… no change
d. Ran “CC Cleaner”… no change
2. TPM <Trusted Platform Module> Security Device – Error message pops-up frequently, though not according to any predictable logic that I can see. Message says “There was a problem connecting to the TPM on this computer. A missing or disabled device driver, or anti-virus/firewall could cause this. Refer to online documentation.” (yeah, right). It is easy to get rid of the message, but I am listing the issue here because this may be related to the other two problems. /// Actions I have taken:
a. Shut down my ESET firewall & antivirus, still pops up.
b. Checked Device Manager/System Devices… the TPM service is not listed
3. Outlook Wizard for Business Contact Manager – This wizard runs everytime I start Outlook, and I can’t get rid of it. When the Wizards starts, the Windows Installer message always pops up, and sometimes the TPM error message as well. /// Actions I have taken:
a. Control Panel/Add & Remove Programs – Cannot remove program, error message “Cannot continue, error copying necessary files.”
b. MS Outlook Help also recommended removing SQL Server 2005. Tried to remove, error message “Cannot be executed due to WMI configuration on machine BILL Error: 2147944126 (0x800706be)

Event Viewer Logs – these are the only clues I could find…

Event Viewer/Application:
• Information: Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: {91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}. Client Process Id: 3184.
• Warning!: Detection of product '{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}', feature 'HandWritingFiles' failed during request for component '{E6BFD503-3A35-4B78-BAB5-9570EDDEF81C}'

Event Viewer/System:
• Information (8:28:23 am): The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the stopped state.
• Error (8:28:46 am): The server {1F87137D-0E7C-44D5-8C73-4EFFB68962F2} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event/Viewer/Lenovo:
See attached file

Help Resources:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...04011838AA4ljsS
XP Installer Software http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:04 PM

Try repairing Microsoft Office though Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 billder99

billder99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:13 PM

Hi Budapest,

If you read my "actions taken", you will see that I tried Add/Remove in a number of different ways. I have already tried many things based on advice given in this EXCELLENT forum, nothing has worked so far

BD

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:15 PM

If repairing Office didn't help matters I would then try uninstalling and reinstalling Office.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users